Re: vim60h: 'vim -u vimrc' => no plugins ??

  • Zdenek Sekera
    Message 1 of 12 , Oct 2, 2000
      Bram Moolenaar wrote:

      > Zdenek Sekera wrote:
      >
      > > > However, I like the idea of "vim -u NONE" not loading a plugin. Then it's
      > > > easier to start with an unmodified Vim session (e.g. to reproduce a bug).
      > >
      > > I agree. What about a new 'vim -u NOVIMRC' saying 'no .vimrc file' but
      > > still loading 'system' plugins?
      >
      > Makes sense. Althought I would call it "NORC", since .exrc files are also
      > skipped. Then the list becomes:
      >
      > <nothing> load vimrc load plugins
      > -u NONE no vimrc no plugins
      > -u NORC no vimrc load plugins
      > --noplugins load vimrc no plugins

      Sounds just right!

      ---Zdenek
    • hitched97@hotpop.com
      Message 2 of 12 , Oct 2, 2000
        At 05:05 AM 10/2/00, Bram Moolenaar wrote:
        > <nothing> load vimrc load plugins
        > -u NONE no vimrc no plugins
        > -u NORC no vimrc load plugins
        > --noplugins load vimrc no plugins

        What's wrong with
        <nothing> load vimrc load plugins
        -u NONE no vimrc load plugins
        -u NONE -noplugins no vimrc no plugins
        --noplugins load vimrc no plugins

        Sounds like you're adding a command line option that duplicates
        available functionality.

        --
        Steve Wall
        Message 3 of 12 , Oct 3, 2000
          Steve Wall wrote:

          > At 05:05 AM 10/2/00, Bram Moolenaar wrote:
          > > <nothing> load vimrc load plugins
          > > -u NONE no vimrc no plugins
          > > -u NORC no vimrc load plugins
          > > --noplugins load vimrc no plugins
          >
          > What's wrong with
          > <nothing> load vimrc load plugins
          > -u NONE no vimrc load plugins
          > -u NONE -noplugins no vimrc no plugins
          > --noplugins load vimrc no plugins
          >
          > Sounds like you're adding a command line option that duplicates
          > available functionality.

          Yes. The reason is that I always ask people to use "vim -u NONE" to start Vim
          without any local vimrc files or other settings. I would have to change that
          to "vim -u NONE --noplugins", which is getting a bit long.

          The idea is that "-u NONE" tells Vim to skip initializations from user files.
          I don't find it strange that plugins are also skipped then. Do you?

          If we add some other kind of intitialization file, some extra --noxyz option
          will have to be added. I like the idea that "-u NONE" still disables all
          then, instead of requiring typing all "--no" arguments.

          148. You find it easier to dial-up the National Weather Service
          Weather/your_town/now.html than to simply look out the window.

        • Zdenek Sekera
          Message 4 of 12 , Oct 3, 2000
            Bram Moolenaar wrote:

            [...]
            > > Sounds like you're adding a command line option that duplicates
            > > available functionality.
            >
            > Yes. The reason is that I always ask people to use "vim -u NONE" to start Vim
            > without any local vimrc files or other settings. I would have to change that
            > to "vim -u NONE --noplugins", which is getting a bit long.

            I think Bram is right here, this scheme is simple to grasp and simply
            extends
            existing -u NONE further down. It doesn't bother me that it duplicates
            certain
            other params combo.

            > The idea is that "-u NONE" tells Vim to skip initializations from user files.
            > I don't find it strange that plugins are also skipped then. Do you?

            I think it is in fact very logical:
            -u NONE => no vimrc, have bare minimum => no plugins (don't know where
            load them from, think of it as 'no runtimepath')
            -u NORC => no user config, but still have system runtimepath => use it
            --noplugins => has nothing to do vimrc, load vimrc but do what it says:
            don't load plugins.

            I like it.

            > If we add some other kind of intitialization file, some extra --noxyz option
            > will have to be added. I like the idea that "-u NONE" still disables all
            > then, instead of requiring typing all "--no" arguments.

            Agreed.

            ---Zdenek