Re: 60h: Which .vimrc ?

  • iain truskett
    Message 1 of 5 , Oct 2, 2000
      * Zdenek Sekera (zs@...) [02 Oct 2000 19:38]:
      > Is there any way to find out (when already in vim) which .vimrc
      > it has used for startup? (vim -u VIMRC). I'd like to know that
      > for maps/functions.

      vim -V1

      shows every file that's being sourced.

      cheers,
      --
      iain truskett, aka Koschei. <http://eh.org/~koschei/>
      You know you are addicted to coffee if...
      Message 2 of 5 , Oct 2, 2000
        iain truskett wrote:

        > * Zdenek Sekera (zs@...) [02 Oct 2000 19:38]:
        > > Is there any way to find out (when already in vim) which .vimrc
        > > it has used for startup? (vim -u VIMRC). I'd like to know that
        > > for maps/functions.
        >
        > vim -V1
        >
        > shows every file that's being sourced.

        Yes, it does, but it wasn't my question.
        I need to find out when I am already in vim, your suggestion talks about
        when you 'call vim'.

        ---Zdenek
      • iain truskett
        Message 3 of 5 , Oct 2, 2000
          * Zdenek Sekera (zs@...) [02 Oct 2000 22:57]:
          > iain truskett wrote:
          > > * Zdenek Sekera (zs@...) [02 Oct 2000 19:38]:
          > > > Is there any way to find out (when already in vim) which .vimrc
          > > > it has used for startup? (vim -u VIMRC). I'd like to know that
          > > > for maps/functions.
          > >
          > > vim -V1
          > >
          > > shows every file that's being sourced.

          > Yes, it does, but it wasn't my question.
          > I need to find out when I am already in vim, your suggestion talks about
          > when you 'call vim'.

          Arg. I'm an idiot.

          I'll change my answer to:

          As far as I'm aware there is not a way. You could try and kludge it
          by having variables set in your .vimrc so you know (which won't work
          for ones you can't modify), but there isn't a variable that stores
          which .vimrc was loaded.

          Sorry about the bad answer before. I must remember to read things more
          carefully.

          cheers,
          --
          iain truskett, aka Koschei. <http://eh.org/~koschei/>
          You know you are addicted to coffee if...
          14 You forget to unwrap candy bars before eating them.
        • Zdenek Sekera
          Message 4 of 5 , Oct 2, 2000
            iain truskett wrote:

            [...]
            > As far as I'm aware there is not a way. You could try and kludge it
            > by having variables set in your .vimrc so you know (which won't work
            > for ones you can't modify), but there isn't a variable that stores
            > which .vimrc was loaded.

            Wouldn't that be nice to have one? Say 'vimrc', 'gvimrc' to make it
            all clear...:-).

            I am using it in mappings like:

            map ,v :e ~/.vimrc (I think it comes originally from Sven)

            and that, of course works only for default, when vim is called as
            vim -u file, it doesn't work anymore, it would be nice if one could
            make it work.

            > Sorry about the bad answer before. I must remember to read things more
            > carefully.

            Don't you worry, that happens to me all the time :-)

            ---Zdenek