Re: Vim6 with gnome

    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 2, 2000
      Jiri Cerny wrote:

      > the gnome version of Vim 6.0h refuses gvim options like -rv -reverse -geom
      > etc. The problem is in the function gui_mch_init_check() in
      > gui_gtk_x11.c. Acctually, there is the difference is between the behaviour
      > of gtk_init_check() that removes all gtk arguments from argv and leaves
      > the rest, and gnome_init(), that accepts only gnome-options. The solution
      > is probably not to copy these options to gui_argv in gui_mch_prepare() if
      > FEAT_GUI_GNOME enabled.

      This is a bit confusing. It seems the problem is that Gnome refuses to start
      when it sees a command line option that it doesn't understand. So we need a
      full list of Gnome arguments. Only those need to be passed to gnome_init().

      Annoying, if in the future Gnome accepts different arguments we need to adjust
      the table...

      Another problem is that gnome_init() simply exits when it finds an error.
      Very annoying when using the ":gui" command. This may leave unpreserved swap
      files behind. Is there a way around this?

      Perhaps gnome_init_with_popt_table() should be used, but it looks
      complicated...

      115. You are late picking up your kid from school and try to explain
      to the teacher you were stuck in Web traffic.

    • Jiri Cerny
      Message 2 of 3 , Oct 2, 2000
        On Mon, 2 Oct 2000, Bram Moolenaar wrote:

        BM> This is a bit confusing. It seems the problem is that Gnome
        BM> refuses to start when it sees a command line option that it
        BM> doesn't understand. So we need a full list of Gnome arguments.
        BM> Only those need to be passed to gnome_init().

        The following patch add some (may be all) gnome arguments. I am not sure
        with "--help" argument. It is gnome standard argument but then the
        behaviour is a little bit confusing.

        vim --help - start vim, no help message
        vim -g --help - print gnome standard help and exit

        BM> Annoying, if in the future Gnome accepts different arguments we
        BM> need to adjust the table...

        It's like this. However, we do the same for gtk arguments.

        BM> Perhaps gnome_init_with_popt_table() should be used, but it looks
        BM> complicated...

        Seems complicated to me too.

        In the patch I also commented out the copying of -rv, -geom, ... to
        gui_argv. It seems to me, that we don't need them there.

        Jiri

        --
        Jiri Cerny
        DMA, EPFL, 1015 Lausanne - Ecublens

        *** ../../vim60h/src/gui_gtk_x11.c Sat Aug 12 11:47:41 2000
        --- gui_gtk_x11.c Mon Oct 2 10:15:51 2000
        ***************
        *** 267,273 ****
        };

        /*
        ! * Arguments handled by GTK internally.
        */
        static char *gtk_cmdline_options[] =
        {
        --- 267,273 ----
        };

        /*
        ! * Arguments handled by GTK (and GNOME) internally.
        */
        static char *gtk_cmdline_options[] =
        {
        ***************
        *** 283,288 ****
        --- 283,301 ----
        "--gtk-module=",
        "-display",
        "--display",
        + #ifdef FEAT_GUI_GNOME
        + "--disable-sound",
        + "--enable-sound",
        + "--espeaker=",
        + "--version",
        + "-?",
        + "--help",
        + "--usage",
        + "--disable-crash-dialog",
        + "--sm-client-id=",
        + "--sm-config-prefix=",
        + "--sm-disable",
        + #endif
        NULL
        };

        ***************
        *** 338,344 ****
        --- 351,359 ----
        }

        /* Found match in table, so move it into gui_argv */
        + #if 0
        gui_argv[gui_argc++] = argv[arg];
        + #endif
        if (--*argc > arg)