Block code highlighting

  • Geoffrey Gallaway
    Message 1 of 11 , Sep 6, 2000
      Hope people don't mind me posting this here. I've posted to comp.editors
      with little response...

      I've been looking for a way to get vim (especially gvim) to do syntax
      highlighting of code blocks. What I want is a darker (or lighter depending
      on the current bg settings) background shade block around certain
      structures (while, if, sub, do, for, etc) and continuly get darker for
      recursing structures. I created an example of what I wanted this to look
      like in staroffice and took a .png screenshot, it can be viewed at
      "http://www.sloth.org/~geoffeg/highlight.png" and a text version that makes
      little sense is included below. The lines on the boxes are not important and
      are there just to better show what I'm trying to convey..

      This would be usefull in a few ways.. It definetly shows you where you've
      screwed up and left a brace off (maybe the rest of a buffer should go red
      after a lack of closing brace) and it helps to clarify deeply nested code.

      Any ideas?

      Geoff

      |for ($i=1; $i < 10; $i++) { # 10% grey block |
      | print "this is the first for\n"; # 10% grey block |
      | # blah blah blah # 10% grey block |
      | # blah blah blah # 10% grey block |
      | for (1..10) { # 20% grey block |
      | print "hello\n"; # 20% grey block |
      | } # 20% grey block |
      |} # 10% grey block |
    • Stephane Rosa
      Message 2 of 11 , Sep 6, 2000
        On 06-Sep-00 Geoffrey Gallaway wrapped up these bytes together:
        > Hope people don't mind me posting this here. I've posted to comp.editors
        > with little response...
        >
        > I've been looking for a way to get vim (especially gvim) to do syntax
        > highlighting of code blocks. What I want is a darker (or lighter depending
        > on the current bg settings) background shade block around certain
        > structures (while, if, sub, do, for, etc) and continuly get darker for
        > recursing structures. I created an example of what I wanted this to look
        > like in staroffice and took a .png screenshot, it can be viewed at
        > "http://www.sloth.org/~geoffeg/highlight.png" and a text version that makes
        > little sense is included below. The lines on the boxes are not important
        > and
        > are there just to better show what I'm trying to convey..
        >
        > This would be usefull in a few ways.. It definetly shows you where you've
        > screwed up and left a brace off (maybe the rest of a buffer should go red
        > after a lack of closing brace) and it helps to clarify deeply nested code.
        >
        > Any ideas?

        No idea, but my full psychological support ;-) This is a VERY great
        idea, especially when coding 1000 lines source files with 5-6 levels.
        Would be very handy to be visual like this.

        Thankx
        Stephane

        > Geoff

        >|for ($i=1; $i < 10; $i++) { # 10% grey block |
        >| print "this is the first for\n"; # 10% grey block |
        >| # blah blah blah # 10% grey block |
        >| # blah blah blah # 10% grey block |
        > - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
        >| for (1..10) { # 20% grey block |
        >| print "hello\n"; # 20% grey block |
        >| } # 20% grey block |
        > - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
        >|} # 10% grey block |

        SILICON GRAPHICS EUROPEAN MANUFACTURING CENTER
        Stephane Rosa Tel : +41 (0)32 843-3638
        Business Analyst Fax : +41 (0)32 843-3909
        APS/FP Project GSM : +41 (0)79 448-5335
        ircnoc.neu.sgi.com SGI Intranet IRC : EuroOper on #irchelp
        irc.stealth.net Euro-IRCNet IRC : Clipper on #radionet
      • Geoffrey Gallaway
        Message 3 of 11 , Sep 6, 2000
          This one time, at band camp, Stephane Rosa wrote:

          > No idea, but my full psychological support ;-) This is a VERY great
          > idea, especially when coding 1000 lines source files with 5-6 levels.
          > Would be very handy to be visual like this.

          Everyone I show this too definetly gets excited, now to see if it can be
          done! :)

          --
          Geoffrey Gallaway || The only thing worse than infinite recursion is infinite
          geoffeg@... || recursion.
          Message 4 of 11 , Sep 6, 2000
            You would get an effect almost exactly as you describe if there was a
            setting
            which caused the text bg colour to follow the fold level of the text, and
            then set 'foldmethod' to something appropriate. This would seem initially to
            be a feasible implementation too.

            Vince

          • Thomas Köhler
            Message 5 of 11 , Sep 6, 2000

              Well, there's quite a few people having a look at comp.editors
              sometimes, including me - but as far as I'm concerned, I often leave
              lots of articles unread (especially when I run out of time, which
              happens quite often lately).

              > I've been looking for a way to get vim (especially gvim) to do syntax
              > highlighting of code blocks. What I want is a darker (or lighter depending
              > on the current bg settings) background shade block around certain
              > structures (while, if, sub, do, for, etc) and continuly get darker for
              > recursing structures. I created an example of what I wanted this to look
              > like in staroffice and took a .png screenshot, it can be viewed at
              > "http://www.sloth.org/~geoffeg/highlight.png" and a text version that makes
              > little sense is included below. The lines on the boxes are not important and
              > are there just to better show what I'm trying to convey..

              Looks nice.
              I once had a similar idea, and played around a bit with syntax
              highlightning. The result can be found here:
              http://jeanluc-picard.de/vim/highlightning/

              There's two files: c2.vim (a modified version of the original syntax
              file for C) and a screenshot how it looks like in current vim (6.0h), of
              course this uses my very own special highlightning file et cetera, but
              you can have a look at c2.vim and get the idea. "nested areas" of
              highlightning regions is the key...

              > This would be usefull in a few ways.. It definetly shows you where you've
              > screwed up and left a brace off (maybe the rest of a buffer should go red
              > after a lack of closing brace) and it helps to clarify deeply nested code.

              Well, one could add lots of funny stuff after that... :-)

              > Any ideas?
              >
              > Geoff

              Ciao,
              Thomas

              IRC: jeanluc | on All Real
            • Geoffrey Gallaway
              Message 6 of 11 , Sep 6, 2000
                Thats close but I wanted to use the background so I could still do
                complete syntax highlighting for the text. Maybe I should start asking
                questions about doing this for real now that it looks like its remotely
                possible:

                * Can vim/gvim set the background color for syntax highlighting
                * Can (vim)/gvim set the color to something specific?
                * What is the approximate air speed velocity of an unlaiden swallow?

                Obviously doing alot of this stuff on the console becomes difficult since
                the console cant handle more than 2 or 3 shades of any color but I'll
                live.

                Geoff

                --
                Geoffrey Gallaway || We've heard that a million monkeys at a million keyboards
                geoffeg@... || could produce the Complete Works of Shakespeare; now,
                Message 7 of 11 , Sep 6, 2000
                  On Wed, Sep 06, 2000 at 10:45:09AM -0400,
                  Geoffrey Gallaway <geoffeg@...> wrote:

                  > Thats close but I wanted to use the background so I could still do
                  > complete syntax highlighting for the text.

                  Should be possible. Those highlighting regions for { ... } should just
                  set the background color and contain all other highlighting groups
                  (but not itself)

                  See http://jeanluc-picard.de/vim/highlightning2/
                  Now, in order to get _full_ highlightning-pass-thru (so, those keywords
                  get the same background color as the surrounding region), just duplicate
                  the corresponding syntax items and contain only one set of them into
                  each such region: first region contains cTypeRegion1, next contains
                  cTypeRegion2 etc. - and each of those sets the same foreground, but
                  different background colors...
                  (it's just a bit more work to do :)

                  Yes. http://jeanluc-picard.de/vim/highlightning2/screenshot.png

                  > * Can (vim)/gvim set the color to something specific?

                  Yes. http://jeanluc-picard.de/vim/highlightning2/c2.vim contains lines
                  like this:
                  hi cwhileState guibg=#222222

                  Set any color you like :-)

                  > * What is the approximate air speed velocity of an unlaiden swallow?

                  Eh? :-)

                  > Obviously doing alot of this stuff on the console becomes difficult since
                  > the console cant handle more than 2 or 3 shades of any color but I'll
                  > live.

                  That's one of the main reasons for me to use gvim at all.
                  Bad terminal emulations are the other one.
                  But gvim over ISDN is much slower than console vim - so I still use that
                  a lot :-)

                  > Geoff

                  CU,
                  Thomas

                  > This one time, at band camp, Thomas Köhler wrote:
                  >
                  > > On Wed, Sep 06, 2000 at 09:20:23AM -0400,
                  > > Geoffrey Gallaway <geoffeg@...> wrote:
                  > > >
                  > > > Hope people don't mind me posting this here. I've posted to comp.editors
                  > > > with little response...
                  > >
                  > > Well, there's quite a few people having a look at comp.editors
                  > > sometimes, including me - but as far as I'm concerned, I often leave
                  > > lots of articles unread (especially when I run out of time, which
                  > > happens quite often lately).
                  > >
                  > > > I've been looking for a way to get vim (especially gvim) to do syntax
                  > > > highlighting of code blocks. What I want is a darker (or lighter depending
                  > > > on the current bg settings) background shade block around certain
                  > > > structures (while, if, sub, do, for, etc) and continuly get darker for
                  > > > recursing structures. I created an example of what I wanted this to look
                  > > > like in staroffice and took a .png screenshot, it can be viewed at
                  > > > "http://www.sloth.org/~geoffeg/highlight.png" and a text version that makes
                  > > > little sense is included below. The lines on the boxes are not important and
                  > > > are there just to better show what I'm trying to convey..
                  > >
                  > > Looks nice.
                  > > I once had a similar idea, and played around a bit with syntax
                  > > highlightning. The result can be found here:
                  > > http://jeanluc-picard.de/vim/highlightning/
                  > >
                  > > There's two files: c2.vim (a modified version of the original syntax
                  > > file for C) and a screenshot how it looks like in current vim (6.0h), of
                  > > course this uses my very own special highlightning file et cetera, but
                  > > you can have a look at c2.vim and get the idea. "nested areas" of
                  > > highlightning regions is the key...
                  > >
                  > > > This would be usefull in a few ways.. It definetly shows you where you've
                  > > > screwed up and left a brace off (maybe the rest of a buffer should go red
                  > > > after a lack of closing brace) and it helps to clarify deeply nested code.
                  > >
                  > > Well, one could add lots of funny stuff after that... :-)
                  > >
                  > > > Any ideas?
                  > > >
                  > > > Geoff
                  > >
                  > > Ciao,
                  > > Thomas
                  > >

                  > --
                  > Geoffrey Gallaway || We've heard that a million monkeys at a million keyboards
                  > geoffeg@... || could produce the Complete Works of Shakespeare; now,
                  > D e v o r z h u n || thanks to the internet, we know this is not true.

                  Ciao,
                  Thomas

                  IRC: jeanluc | on All Real
                • Dr. Charles E. Campbell
                  Message 8 of 11 , Sep 6, 2000
                    Thus saith =?iso-8859-1?Q?Thomas_K=F6hler?=:
                    > Now, in order to get _full_ highlightning-pass-thru (so, those keywords

                    Just on a completely pedantic note (hey, I did write
                    engspchk.vim!), its "highlighting", not "highlightning".
                    ^

                    Actually, the current syntax highlighting code can handle block
                    highlighting. Its just that one would need to specify a bunch of unique
                    colornames that aren't in the Standard List.

                    Here's something that works with C files; I've also enclosed an example
                    C file for illustration. Just gvim the C file and :so block.vim .

                    -- <block.vim> ------------------------------------------------------
                    syn cluster cCurlyGroup contains=cConditional,cConstant,cLabel,cOperator,cRepeat,cStatement,cStorageClass,cStructure,cType,cBitField,cCharacter,cCommentError,cInclude,cNumbers,cParenError,cPreCondit,cSpaceError,cSpecialCharacter,cSpecialError,cUserCont,cBracket,cComment,cCommentL,cCppOut,cCppString,cDefine,cMulti,cParen,cPreCondit,cPreProc,cString
                    syn region cCurly1 matchgroup=Delimiter start="{" matchgroup=Delimiter end="}" contains=@cCurlyGroup,cCurly2
                    syn region cCurly2 contained matchgroup=Delimiter start="{" matchgroup=Delimiter end="}" contains=@cCurlyGroup,cCurly3
                    syn region cCurly3 contained matchgroup=Delimiter start="{" matchgroup=Delimiter end="}" contains=@cCurlyGroup,cCurly4
                    syn region cCurly4 contained matchgroup=Delimiter start="{" matchgroup=Delimiter end="}" contains=@cCurlyGroup,cCurly5
                    syn region cCurly5 contained matchgroup=Delimiter start="{" matchgroup=Delimiter end="}" contains=@cCurlyGroup,cCurly6
                    syn region cCurly6 contained matchgroup=Delimiter start="{" matchgroup=Delimiter end="}" contains=@cCurlyGroup,cCurly7
                    syn region cCurly7 contained matchgroup=Delimiter start="{" matchgroup=Delimiter end="}" contains=@cCurlyGroup,cCurly1

                    hi cCurly1 term=NONE cterm=NONE gui=NONE guibg=grey10
                    hi cCurly2 term=NONE cterm=NONE gui=NONE guibg=grey20
                    hi cCurly3 term=NONE cterm=NONE gui=NONE guibg=grey25
                    hi cCurly4 term=NONE cterm=NONE gui=NONE guibg=grey30
                    hi cCurly5 term=NONE cterm=NONE gui=NONE guibg=grey35
                    hi cCurly6 term=NONE cterm=NONE gui=NONE guibg=grey40
                    hi cCurly7 term=NONE cterm=NONE gui=NONE guibg=grey45
                    /* an exmaple of sorts */
                    int main()
                    {
                    if(a) {
                    s=1;
                    if(b) {
                    t= 2;
                    if(c) {
                    u= 3;
                    if(d) {
                    v= 4;
                    if(e) {
                    w= 5;
                    if(f) {
                    x= 6;
                    if(g) {
                    y= 7;
                    if(h) {
                    z= 8;
                    }
                    }
                    }
                    }
                    }
                    }
                    }
                    }
                    }

                    C Campbell

                    --
                    Charles E Campbell, Jr, PhD _ __ __
                    cec@... /_/ \/_//_/
                    Message 9 of 11 , Sep 6, 2000
                      On Wed, Sep 06, 2000 at 12:20:29PM -0400,
                      Dr. Charles E. Campbell <cec@...> wrote:

                      > Thus saith =?iso-8859-1?Q?Thomas_K=F6hler?=:
                      > > Now, in order to get _full_ highlightning-pass-thru (so, those keywords
                      >
                      > Just on a completely pedantic note (hey, I did write
                      > engspchk.vim!), its "highlighting", not "highlightning".
                      > ^

                      Uhm, and once misspelled, it gets through always - that's the only
                      reason that speaks against keyword completion :-)
                      (Did I ever mention that keyword completion *ROCKS*?)

                      > Actually, the current syntax highlighting code can handle block
                      > highlighting. Its just that one would need to specify a bunch of unique
                      > colornames that aren't in the Standard List.
                      >
                      > Here's something that works with C files; I've also enclosed an example
                      > C file for illustration. Just gvim the C file and :so block.vim .

                      [example files]

                      Yes, this comes close. Just another few mails and we have developed the
                      ultimate solution :-)

                      > Regards,
                      > C Campbell

                      Ciao,
                      Thomas

                      IRC: jeanluc | on All Real
                    • Geoffrey Gallaway
                      Message 10 of 11 , Sep 6, 2000
                        Ok, i did this and got tons of errors when doing :so block.vim:

                        No cluster specified
                        Invalid argument: cCurlyGroup

                        Not an editor
                        command: contains=cConditional,cConstant,cLabel,cOperator,cRepeat,cStatement,cStorageClas

                        Trailing characters

                        Geoff

                        --
                        Geoffrey Gallaway || If your life passes before your eyes when you die,
                        geoffeg@... || does that include the part where your life passes
                        Message 11 of 11 , Sep 6, 2000
                          On Wed, Sep 06, 2000 at 12:57:44PM -0400,
                          Geoffrey Gallaway <geoffeg@...> wrote:

                          > Ok, i did this and got tons of errors when doing :so block.vim:
                          >
                          > No cluster specified
                          > Invalid argument: cCurlyGroup
                          >
                          > Not an editor
                          > command: contains=cConditional,cConstant,cLabel,cOperator,cRepeat,cStatement,cStorageClas
                          >
                          > Trailing characters

                          Sounds like your lines got split while cut&pasting...

                          Then again, what version of vim are you using?

                          > Geoff
                          >
                          > This one time, at band camp, Dr. Charles E. Campbell wrote:
                          >
                          > > Thus saith =?iso-8859-1?Q?Thomas_K=F6hler?=:
                          > > > Now, in order to get _full_ highlightning-pass-thru (so, those keywords
                          > >
                          > > Just on a completely pedantic note (hey, I did write
                          > > engspchk.vim!), its "highlighting", not "highlightning".
                          > > ^
                          > >
                          > > Actually, the current syntax highlighting code can handle block
                          > > highlighting. Its just that one would need to specify a bunch of unique
                          > > colornames that aren't in the Standard List.
                          > >
                          > > Here's something that works with C files; I've also enclosed an example
                          > > C file for illustration. Just gvim the C file and :so block.vim .

                          syn cluster cCurlyGroup contains=cConditional,cConstant,cLabel,cOperator,cRepeat,cStatement,cStorageClass,cStructure,cType,cBitField,cCharacter,cCommentError,cInclude,cNumbers,cParenError,cPreCondit,cSpaceError,cSpecialCharacter,cSpecialError,cUserCont,cBracket,cComment,cCommentL,cCppOut,cCppString,cDefine,cMulti,cParen,cPreCondit,cPreProc,cString

                          For example, all of this is on _ONE_ line!

                          Ciao,
                          Thomas

                          IRC: jeanluc | on All Real