Hello & strong crypto

  • Ry4an Brase
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 5, 2000
      Hello, I've been a long time vim user, and was happy to see the crypt
      buffer mode in vim which I'd previously not noticed. I was, however,
      disappointed to see that it uses a joke cipher for its encription. I
      cracked open fileio.c (and macro.h) and looks like it wouldn't be hard
      to patch vim to call of to something like cryptmlib (
      http://mcrypt.hellug.gr/ ) to use a strong symmetric cipher like
      blowfish or idea.

      In macro.h I saw that the original cryptv mode was done by Mohsin Ahmed
      <mosh@...>, but unfortunately that address is now bouncing email.
      I was going to ask Mr. Ahmed if he knows of any other strong crypto
      integration projects for vim that are in the works. It shouldn't be a
      difficult patch, but there's no sense in a duplication of effort.

      So, has there been previous discussion about beefing up the cipher used
      by +cryptv?

      And before I forget, excellent editor. :)

      --
      Ry4an Brase - http://ry4an.org /~\
      'If you're not a rebel when you're 20 you've got no heart; if \ /
      Message 2 of 2 , Sep 20, 2000
        Ry4an Brase wrote:

        > Hello, I've been a long time vim user, and was happy to see the crypt
        > buffer mode in vim which I'd previously not noticed. I was, however,
        > disappointed to see that it uses a joke cipher for its encription. I
        > cracked open fileio.c (and macro.h) and looks like it wouldn't be hard
        > to patch vim to call of to something like cryptmlib (
        > http://mcrypt.hellug.gr/ ) to use a strong symmetric cipher like
        > blowfish or idea.

        Yes, it should not be difficult to use a stronger encryption. The idea of the
        currently selected crypt function is that it can be freely distributed. I
        didn't want to get into trouble with having to distribute a version with the
        crypting stripped. But perhaps the recent changes to the rules about crypting
        allow stronger encryption algorithms to be distributed.

        I have not heard about how strong or weak the current encryption actually is.
        Although it should be possible to break it, you would need to know some text
        from the crypted file. That's the main difference with how it's used in a zip
        archive: Zip includes a magic number to check if the decryption worked OK.
        This can be used by a program to crack the key. For Vim this is impossible,
        there is no fixed string present.

        The last known address I have is: <ahmed@...>

        > So, has there been previous discussion about beefing up the cipher used
        > by +cryptv?

        It's possible to add another encrypter, but what would you use it for?
        Don't forget that someone with root permission can still get to the decrypted
        text. And you could also encrypt the file outside of Vim (or with
        autocommands).

        9. All your daydreaming is preoccupied with getting a faster connection to the
        net: 28.8...ISDN...cable modem...T1...T3.