Re: man.vim settings file (manual page browser)

  • Sung-Hyun Nam
    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 3, 2000
      Johannes Zellner wrote:
      > On Mon, Sep 04, 2000 at 01:36:34PM +0900, Sung-Hyun Nam wrote:
      > > Hello,
      > >
      > > I made a manual page browser.
      > > You can use this file:
      > > copy it to ~/.vim/settings
      > > add 'filetype settings on' to .vimrc
      > >
      > > Now, you can do
      > > run vim
      > > type ':set ft=man'
      > > type ':Man vim' to see this works.
      > > Or,
      > > gvim -c "set ft=man" -c "Man vim"
      >
      > Are you sure you're not reinventing the wheel here ?
      > see: http://www.zellner.org/vim/functions/man.vim

      Good. It also support sections. But it does not work in solaris.
      For solaris, 'man -s section manual_page' should be used.
      I know it works in my Linux box. What about other systems?
      If this works only for few systems, I think removing the feature is
      better.

      So, how about add a browse feature to yours?
      I cannot see the browse feature, I mean 'CTRL-]' and 'CTRL-T'.
      (Because my man.vim's main feature is browsing with <c-]> and <c-t>,
      I think I didn't reinvent the wheel...)

      If you make it to 'settings' compatible(?) - should port it to vim60 -...
      then I guess bram include this to vim60 distribution.
      Then I will use your man.vim settings file happily.

      regards,

      namsh
    • Johannes Zellner
      Message 2 of 4 , Sep 4, 2000
        On Mon, Sep 04, 2000 at 03:52:39PM +0900, Sung-Hyun Nam wrote:
        > Johannes Zellner wrote:
        > > On Mon, Sep 04, 2000 at 01:36:34PM +0900, Sung-Hyun Nam wrote:
        > > > Hello,
        > > >
        > > > I made a manual page browser.
        > > > You can use this file:
        > > > copy it to ~/.vim/settings
        > > > add 'filetype settings on' to .vimrc
        > > >
        > > > Now, you can do
        > > > run vim
        > > > type ':set ft=man'
        > > > type ':Man vim' to see this works.
        > > > Or,
        > > > gvim -c "set ft=man" -c "Man vim"
        > >
        > > Are you sure you're not reinventing the wheel here ?
        > > see: http://www.zellner.org/vim/functions/man.vim
        >
        > Good. It also support sections. But it does not work in solaris.
        > For solaris, 'man -s section manual_page' should be used.
        solaris /is/ supported by my script. see the line

        if $OSTYPE == ├čolaris" && !exists("g:man_section_argument")

        > I know it works in my Linux box. What about other systems?
        > If this works only for few systems, I think removing the feature is
        > better.
        It works for all systems I'm on:
        SGI/IRIX, DEC/OSF1, HP-UX, NetBSD, Linux.

        > So, how about add a browse feature to yours?
        you can use the mapped key `Q' on any keyword, this includes words in
        an alreay open man page. You can precede Q by a number (count) to get
        the manpage out of the specified section (you can use any mapping
        (in vim6 it would be maplocal), e.g. CTRL-].)
        I've no possibility to jump back though.

        > I cannot see the browse feature, I mean 'CTRL-]' and 'CTRL-T'.
        > (Because my man.vim's main feature is browsing with <c-]> and <c-t>,
        > I think I didn't reinvent the wheel...)
        >
        > If you make it to 'settings' compatible(?) - should port it to vim60 -...
        yes. This would probably be a good idea.

        --
        Johannes