Re: man.vim settings file (manual page browser)

  • Johannes Zellner
    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 3, 2000
      On Mon, Sep 04, 2000 at 01:36:34PM +0900, Sung-Hyun Nam wrote:
      > Hello,
      >
      > I made a manual page browser.
      > You can use this file:
      > copy it to ~/.vim/settings
      > add 'filetype settings on' to .vimrc
      >
      > Now, you can do
      > run vim
      > type ':set ft=man'
      > type ':Man vim' to see this works.
      > Or,
      > gvim -c "set ft=man" -c "Man vim"

      Are you sure you're not reinventing the wheel here ?
      see: http://www.zellner.org/vim/functions/man.vim

      --
      Johannes
    • Sung-Hyun Nam
      Message 2 of 4 , Sep 3, 2000
        Johannes Zellner wrote:
        > On Mon, Sep 04, 2000 at 01:36:34PM +0900, Sung-Hyun Nam wrote:
        > > Hello,
        > >
        > > I made a manual page browser.
        > > You can use this file:
        > > copy it to ~/.vim/settings
        > > add 'filetype settings on' to .vimrc
        > >
        > > Now, you can do
        > > run vim
        > > type ':set ft=man'
        > > type ':Man vim' to see this works.
        > > Or,
        > > gvim -c "set ft=man" -c "Man vim"
        >
        > Are you sure you're not reinventing the wheel here ?
        > see: http://www.zellner.org/vim/functions/man.vim

        Good. It also support sections. But it does not work in solaris.
        For solaris, 'man -s section manual_page' should be used.
        I know it works in my Linux box. What about other systems?
        If this works only for few systems, I think removing the feature is
        better.

        So, how about add a browse feature to yours?
        I cannot see the browse feature, I mean 'CTRL-]' and 'CTRL-T'.
        (Because my man.vim's main feature is browsing with <c-]> and <c-t>,
        I think I didn't reinvent the wheel...)

        If you make it to 'settings' compatible(?) - should port it to vim60 -...
        then I guess bram include this to vim60 distribution.
        Then I will use your man.vim settings file happily.

        regards,

        namsh
      • Johannes Zellner
        Message 3 of 4 , Sep 4, 2000
          On Mon, Sep 04, 2000 at 03:52:39PM +0900, Sung-Hyun Nam wrote:
          > Johannes Zellner wrote:
          > > On Mon, Sep 04, 2000 at 01:36:34PM +0900, Sung-Hyun Nam wrote:
          > > > Hello,
          > > >
          > > > I made a manual page browser.
          > > > You can use this file:
          > > > copy it to ~/.vim/settings
          > > > add 'filetype settings on' to .vimrc
          > > >
          > > > Now, you can do
          > > > run vim
          > > > type ':set ft=man'
          > > > type ':Man vim' to see this works.
          > > > Or,
          > > > gvim -c "set ft=man" -c "Man vim"
          > >
          > > Are you sure you're not reinventing the wheel here ?
          > > see: http://www.zellner.org/vim/functions/man.vim
          >
          > Good. It also support sections. But it does not work in solaris.
          > For solaris, 'man -s section manual_page' should be used.
          solaris /is/ supported by my script. see the line

          if $OSTYPE == ├čolaris" && !exists("g:man_section_argument")

          > I know it works in my Linux box. What about other systems?
          > If this works only for few systems, I think removing the feature is
          > better.
          It works for all systems I'm on:
          SGI/IRIX, DEC/OSF1, HP-UX, NetBSD, Linux.

          > So, how about add a browse feature to yours?
          you can use the mapped key `Q' on any keyword, this includes words in
          an alreay open man page. You can precede Q by a number (count) to get
          the manpage out of the specified section (you can use any mapping
          (in vim6 it would be maplocal), e.g. CTRL-].)
          I've no possibility to jump back though.

          > I cannot see the browse feature, I mean 'CTRL-]' and 'CTRL-T'.
          > (Because my man.vim's main feature is browsing with <c-]> and <c-t>,
          > I think I didn't reinvent the wheel...)
          >
          > If you make it to 'settings' compatible(?) - should port it to vim60 -...
          yes. This would probably be a good idea.

          --
          Johannes