vim6.0g weirdnesses

  • Jeroen Ruigrok/Asmodai
    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 29, 2000
      vim6.0g has this weird behaviour:

      when I open a file and I do a `cw' it will [sometimes] change the first
      ~ which marks the end of the file to a partial copy of the line above
      it. Same with cl or any other c combo.

      After you are done with the c command and hit ESC it will restore the
      modified ~ line back to the ~.

      So some displaybuffer is probably off by one. I am sorry that I don't
      have a patch ready, but I am involved in too many code projects as it
      stands.

      Another weird thing was when I was editing a perl script today, after I
      typed:

      } else

      I wanted to A after the else and add a { and continue coding. vim's
      status said INSERT, but it totally froze.

      A gdb backtrace on the running PID showed almost only free()'s, I had to
      kill the PID.

      This is on FreeBSD 5.0-CURRENT and 4.1-STABLE. Both with little extra
      features:

      VIM - Vi IMproved 6.0g ALPHA (2000 Aug 20, compiled Aug 24 2000 11:01:08)
      Compiled by root@...
      Normal version without GUI. Features included (+) or not (-):
      +autocmd -balloon_eval -browse +builtin_terms +byte_offset +cindent
      +cmdline_compl +cmdline_info +comments +cryptv -cscope +dialog_con +digraphs
      -ebcdic -emacs_tags +eval +ex_extra +extra_search -farsi +file_in_path
      -osfiletype +find_in_path -footer +fork() -gettext -hangul_input +insert_expand
      -langmap +libcall +linebreak +lispindent +localmap -keymap +menu +mksession
      +modify_fname +mouse -mouseshape -mouse_dec -mouse_gpm -mouse_jsbterm
      -mouse_netterm +mouse_xterm -multi_byte +multi_lang +path_extra -perl -python
      +quickfix -rightleft +scrollbind -signs +smartindent -sniff +statusline
      -sun_workshop +syntax +tag_binary +tag_old_static -tag_any_white -tcl +terminfo
      +termresponse +textobjects +title -toolbar +user_commands +vertsplit
      +virtualedit +visual +visualextra +viminfo +wildignore +wildmenu +windows
      +writebackup -X11 -xfontset -xim -xterm_clipboard -xterm_save
      system vimrc file: "$VIM/vimrc"
      user vimrc file: "$HOME/.vimrc"
      user exrc file: "$HOME/.exrc"
      fall-back for $VIM: "/usr/local/share/vim"
      Compilation:
      gcc -c -I. -Iproto -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -O -pipe -g -march=pentium -Wall
      Linking: gcc -o vim -ltermlib

      Are there some common debug steps I can do with vim which will almost
      always help? I know my gdb basics and such.

      --
      Jeroen Ruigrok vd Werven/Asmodai asmodai@[wxs.nl|bart.nl|freebsd.org]
      Documentation nutter/C-rated Coder BSD: Technical excellence at its best
      Message 2 of 3 , Aug 30, 2000
        Jeroen Ruigrok wrote:

        > vim6.0g has this weird behaviour:
        >
        > when I open a file and I do a `cw' it will [sometimes] change the first
        > ~ which marks the end of the file to a partial copy of the line above
        > it. Same with cl or any other c combo.
        >
        > After you are done with the c command and hit ESC it will restore the
        > modified ~ line back to the ~.

        Are you using the "$" to show at the end of the change? Then this was fixed
        by a recent patch. Just wait for Vim 6.0h and check if it's fixed.

        > Another weird thing was when I was editing a perl script today, after I
        > typed:
        >
        > } else
        >
        > I wanted to A after the else and add a { and continue coding. vim's
        > status said INSERT, but it totally froze.
        >
        > A gdb backtrace on the running PID showed almost only free()'s, I had to
        > kill the PID.

        Hmm, I can't guess what this problem is. Did hitting CTRL-C not get Vim back
        to life?

        > Are there some common debug steps I can do with vim which will almost
        > always help? I know my gdb basics and such.

        If Vim freezes you should be able to find out where it loops.

        --
        ARTHUR: It is I, Arthur, son of Uther Pendragon, from the castle of Camelot.
        King of all Britons, defeator of the Saxons, sovereign of all England!

      • Jeroen Ruigrok/Asmodai
        Message 3 of 3 , Aug 30, 2000
          -On [20000830 11:04], Bram Moolenaar (Bram@...) wrote:

          >Jeroen Ruigrok wrote:
          >
          >> vim6.0g has this weird behaviour:
          >>
          >> when I open a file and I do a `cw' it will [sometimes] change the first
          >> ~ which marks the end of the file to a partial copy of the line above
          >> it. Same with cl or any other c combo.
          >>
          >> After you are done with the c command and hit ESC it will restore the
          >> modified ~ line back to the ~.
          >
          >Are you using the "$" to show at the end of the change? Then this was fixed
          >by a recent patch. Just wait for Vim 6.0h and check if it's fixed.

          I am not using $.

          I think the ++current_col; patch possibly fixed this as well.

          >> Another weird thing was when I was editing a perl script today, after I
          >> typed:
          >>
          >> } else
          >>
          >> I wanted to A after the else and add a { and continue coding. vim's
          >> status said INSERT, but it totally froze.
          >>
          >> A gdb backtrace on the running PID showed almost only free()'s, I had to
          >> kill the PID.
          >
          >Hmm, I can't guess what this problem is. Did hitting CTRL-C not get Vim back
          >to life?

          CTRL-C did get it back to work, and it updated the screen.

          The ++current_col; patch worked for me to fix this.