Debug mode

  • Thomer M. Gil
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 7, 2000
      Hello,

      How about debugging mode? I've seen it appear on several wishlists, but to my
      knowing it does not exist in ViM. Does it?

      Now, I'm very familiar with ViM, but not with ViM code. I might need some help.
      The order of things should be:

      1. Collect ideas
      2. Choose best ones and set priorities
      (2a. Implement in Python or Perl?)
      3. Implement in C

      Suggestions are most welcome. I'll be starting doing this somewhere in
      September. First I have some other stuff to finish, but that gives me (and you)
      time to come up with some good ideas.

      Input most welcome.

      Thomer
      Message 2 of 2 , Aug 7, 2000
        Thomer M. Gil wrote:

        > How about debugging mode? I've seen it appear on several wishlists, but to
        > my knowing it does not exist in ViM. Does it?

        A debugging mode for Vim scripts (and functions) would be very useful.

        > Now, I'm very familiar with ViM, but not with ViM code. I might need some
        > help. The order of things should be:
        >
        > 1. Collect ideas

        I would suggest to look how other programs (editors) have solved this. The
        goal is to keep it simple and useful. No bells and whistles, only the things
        we need.

        We probably need to have commands like "step" (execute one command), "next"
        (execute one command or function call), "cont" (run until running into a
        breakpoint). Displaying status can be done with the normal Vim commands (need
        some tricks to display where we are in a file or function).

        The hard thing is how to set breakpoints...

        158. You get a tuner card so you can watch TV while surfing.