RE: vim57 - installation error

  • Michael Geddes
    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 2, 2000
      I'm not sure that you should be setting the PATH in autoexec.bat in WinNT.
      You're better off setting them in ControlPannel|system|environment

      //.

      Message 2 of 3 , Aug 3, 2000
        Willie duMaine wrote:

        > vim57
        > Windows NT 4.0
        >
        > During installation, I choose the option to add PATH
        > to autoexec.bat file, and option to add "edit with
        > vim" right-click popup menu. However, I received an
        > error message saying 'gvim.exe' may not be included in
        > the path when I used "edit with vim" menu to open a
        > file.
        >
        > I checked "autoexec.bat" to ensure the PATH setting,
        > and noticed the path setting included double
        > quotes...i.e. PATH="C:\VIM57". I removed the double
        > quotes and rebooted the machine, and it worked fine.

        On other systems the double quotes are required when there is a space in the
        path name (like "Program Files").

        Does someone know the rule when the quotes are to be added and when not?
        Perhaps we can decide what to do based on the version of Windows?

        For NT there should be another way to set the $PATH. But I don't know a
        reliable way to do this from install.exe.

        73. You give your dog used motherboards instead of bones