Vim 6.0d alpha available

    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 30, 2000
      Another Vim in the 6.0 series.

      WARNING: This is really an unstable version. Many things have been added
      without proper testing. It does crash. It may destroy your work.

      This version is for developers, thus it comes as source code only.
      If you run into something that doesn't work, please try to figure out why,
      try to solve it and send me a patch. If you can't do that, at least send me
      precise information to save me time.

      If you don't like the syntax of a command, the name of an option or how the
      new features work, let's discuss this in the vim-dev maillist.

      In version 6.0d:

      A few more reported problems have been fixed. Still many todo...

      I did some more work on the UTF-8 code. I added the 'guifontwide' option to
      display the double-width characters. I didn't manage to make the fontset
      stuff working for me. Probably a locale problem. But with 'guifontwide' I
      can finally correctly display all the UTF-8 demo files. There is now also a
      check for illegal byte sequences, these are displayed as their hex value:
      <xx>. UTF-8 now also works in the GTK version. Added "g8" to see what bytes
      a UTF-8 character is made of.

      The display bug often reported should be fixed now. There might be another
      one, please try to explain to me how to reproduce it.

      More info for the new 6.0 features at ":help version6".

      Lots of things are not working yet. Check ":help todo" for known items.

      I NEED YOUR HELP: There is still a lot of work to be done. If I have to do it
      all by myself it will take a very long time until Vim.6.0 is ready. Please
      give a hand by implementing one of the items in the todo list.

      You can find it here: ftp://ftp.vim.org/pub/vim/unreleased/

      unix/vim-6.0d-rt.tar.gz runtime files
      unix/vim-6.0d-src.tar.gz sources

      extra/vim-6.0d-extra.tar.gz extra files
      extra/vim-6.0d-lang.tar.gz multi-language files

      Happy Vimming!

      --
      The 50-50-90 rule: Anytime you have a 50-50 chance of getting
      something right, there's a 90% probability you'll get it wrong.