RE: Vim 6.0b 'cd' bugs galore in win32 gvim

  • Michael Geddes
    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 26, 2000
      Cool - glad you found that crash! Though there is a crash which I can't
      reproduce now..

      but apart from that, nothing works real well in win32 land.

      if cdpath=,, (the default) NOTHING works except absolute paths with drive
      letters.

      if cdpath=., then you also get .. working.

      My personal recommendation (which I think makes a lot of sense) is:

      For 'cd', the only paths that should be searched for in the cdpath, are
      those that follow the form ^\k\+\>\(\<\k\+\>\|[/\\]\)\+$
      ie paths like
      fred
      fred/test
      fred/test/other

      The rest should behave as they used to behave.

      in Win32 cdpath has broken all the following:

      cd .. from working with the default settings
      cd /path
      cd c:
      cd \\machine\share <\\machine\share>

      and mabe some other stuff

      I suggest that as a starting point:

      The issue of specifying files (rather than directories), is more
      interesting and this could be discussed.

      Some observations:

      Absolute paths are absolute paths. In win32 this means prefixed with a
      drive letter or by a share name.

      the path prefixes '.' & '..' mean the current and previous directory
      respectively, and explicitly do not refer to the cdpath!!

      In Win32, a drive without a path means the current working directory of that
      drive
      an 'absolute' path without a drive, means the path within the current drive
      or share

      so
      cd \\machine\share <\\machine\share>
      cd test
      cd \

      will leave pwd with \\machine\share <\\machine\share> .

      //.