suggestions

  • Johannes Zellner
    Message 1 of 6 , Jul 17, 2000
      two suggestions:

      - include fold in fillchars as already proposed on this list
      e.g. for removing the ----- from folded text do a
      set fillchars+=fold:\
      ^space
      - allowing something like
      set foldtext=@Myexpression()
      that is evaluate the stuff at the right side as expression,
      if the first character is a @ (or something else, we could
      discuss that). This is no severe limitation as there are
      about 100 (or more) other characters left to delimit the
      pattern.
      If an expression would be evaluated I'd set first:
      v:lnum
      v:foldedlines

      I'm asking this here (beeing aware that Bram also reads it :-)
      because I would offer to do the changes (sooner or later) if
      there would be an agreement about that.

      --
      Johannes
      Message 2 of 6 , Jul 18, 2000
        Johannes Zellner wrote:

        > two suggestions:
        >
        > - include fold in fillchars as already proposed on this list
        > e.g. for removing the ----- from folded text do a
        > set fillchars+=fold:\
        > ^space

        I like that too.

        > - allowing something like
        > set foldtext=@Myexpression()
        > that is evaluate the stuff at the right side as expression,
        > if the first character is a @ (or something else, we could
        > discuss that). This is no severe limitation as there are
        > about 100 (or more) other characters left to delimit the
        > pattern.
        > If an expression would be evaluated I'd set first:
        > v:lnum
        > v:foldedlines

        I'm wondering if 'foldtext' shouldn't always be an expression. The current
        "/pattern/substitute" is a bit strange for an option value. The main reason I
        have against using an expression is that it's a bit slower. But since it's
        only used when there really is a folded line, it should not matter, compared
        to other work done to find the folded lines.

        > I'm asking this here (beeing aware that Bram also reads it :-)
        > because I would offer to do the changes (sooner or later) if
        > there would be an agreement about that.

        I don't mind receiving a patch for this!

        --
        LAUNCELOT: Isn't there a St. Aaaaarrrrrrggghhh's in Cornwall?
        ARTHUR: No, that's Saint Ives.

      • Marian Csontos
        Message 3 of 6 , Feb 4, 2005
          Hello folks,
          I have some suggestions for features:

          1. [NEW]
          Maps: It would be usefull to define macros which can handle following
          movement operator, for example:
          nmap <move> <C-Y> "*y<move>
          could be used for copying to clipboard.

          2. [FIX]
          File name expansion:
          when using ^X^F and there is space in filename it's impossible to
          continue with expansion.
          Solutions:
          1. add ``"'' around filename, or|and escape special characters.
          (2 new options? 'fnamequote' 'fnameesc')
          2. in vim7 using ^X^U and write some macros.
          I think native support should be used for all filenames not only most
          of them. There are some people using spaces and diacritics in filenames
          we shall handle with :-(

          3. [NEW]
          Regexp function: re_matches(str,pattern) which returns list of
          submatches
          Sometimes it's needed. It could be done by Lists, but this would be much
          more efficient. ()

          Marian Csontos

          ________ Information from NOD32 ________
          http://www.nod32.com
        • Steven Mueller
          Message 4 of 6 , Feb 4, 2005
            Hello Marian,

            I recently discovered that filenames with spaces can continue
            expansion if you add ascii 32 to the isfname option:

            set isfname+=32

            Of course, for the " to act as a delimiter, you need to make sure
            that's not part of your isfname. You probably also want to keep = out
            if you edit shell scripts. However, this will surely break other
            things (like .Xresourses editing); I'd have to second that request
            from a few months ago to make isfname localizable to buffer.

            (Note that it's well nigh impossible to get a space itself in the
            isfname list such that it's properly parsed, but the help implies it
            can be done if it's part of a range.)

            As for mapping sub operators, this is a feature I've often desired
            myself. Perhaps there will be another voting round for new features?
            :)

            A list-returning matchstr would be nice, also; of course you can
            extract all the matches by keeping track of indices, but it's a bit of
            a pain.

            Steven

            --
            Steven Mueller
            diffusor@...
            Message 5 of 6 , Feb 4, 2005
              Marian Csontos wrote:

              > I have some suggestions for features:
              >
              > 1. [NEW]
              > Maps: It would be usefull to define macros which can handle following
              > movement operator, for example:
              > nmap <move> <C-Y> "*y<move>
              > could be used for copying to clipboard.

              Is there a reason you can't use:

              nmap <C-Y> "*y

              ?

              > 2. [FIX]
              > File name expansion:
              > when using ^X^F and there is space in filename it's impossible to
              > continue with expansion.
              > Solutions:
              > 1. add ``"'' around filename, or|and escape special characters.
              > (2 new options? 'fnamequote' 'fnameesc')
              > 2. in vim7 using ^X^U and write some macros.
              > I think native support should be used for all filenames not only most
              > of them. There are some people using spaces and diacritics in filenames
              > we shall handle with :-(

              Problem is indeed that there is no standard way to escape the space.
              For Unix shell command the backslash works. For MS-Windows the
              backslash often doesn't work, need to use double quotes. But inserting
              a double quote before the start of the name is very difficult to
              implement. It may go before where insertion started. And the
              completion code is complex already.

              > 3. [NEW]
              > Regexp function: re_matches(str,pattern) which returns list of
              > submatches
              > Sometimes it's needed. It could be done by Lists, but this would be much
              > more efficient. ()

              Makes sense. It's not too different from matchstr(). I think we should
              call it matchlist() then... Done! See the next Vim 7 snapshot.

              --
              The technology involved in making anything invisible is so infinitely
              complex that nine hundred and ninety-nine billion, nine hundred and

            • Keith Roberts
              Message 6 of 6 , Feb 25, 2005

                I don't think you have to go back before the start of the completion ...
                You can just quote the special characters themselves. This seems to
                work both in COMMAND.COM and cmd.exe on WinXP (I haven't tried others).

                -Keith