multiview (feature idea)

  • Johannes Zellner
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 7, 2000
      Hello,

      I just wasn't able to find a nice solution to do
      sort of a `multiview' with vim functions. So this
      is an idea for a new feature `set multiview=...'

      Examples:

      latex:

      " vim settings
      set multiview=.tex
      set path=.,$TEXINPUTS

      % latex file
      \include{dyn}

      and placing the cursor on dyn and typing `gf' should search
      in the path first for dyn and if not found (which is likely)
      search for dyn.tex

      python:

      " vim settings
      set multiview=.py
      set path=.,/usr/lib/python1.5
      set include=import

      # python file
      import code
      compile_command('print "fred"')

      and placing the cursor on `compile_command' and typing `[i'
      should take me to /usr/lib/python1.5/code.py

      generally one could also benfit from

      set multiview=.gz,.bz2

      Comments ? maybe something for the TODO list ?

      --
      Johannes
    • Stephen P. Wall
      Message 2 of 3 , Jul 7, 2000
        > From: Johannes Zellner <johannes@...>
        >
        > " vim settings
        > set multiview=.tex
        > set path=.,$TEXINPUTS
        >
        > % latex file
        > \include{dyn}
        >
        > and placing the cursor on dyn and typing `gf' should search
        > in the path first for dyn and if not found (which is likely)
        > search for dyn.tex

        An option along these lines is in the offing for vim 6.0.

        --
        Free High Speed DSL Access:
        http://in.winfire.com/s/isapiEng.dll/wf.exe?cmd=rl&452,180045277&wf.exe
        Message 3 of 3 , Jul 7, 2000
          Johannes Zellner wrote:

          > I just wasn't able to find a nice solution to do
          > sort of a `multiview' with vim functions. So this
          > is an idea for a new feature `set multiview=...'

          For Vim ("real soon now") 6.0 there will be the 'suffixesadd' option.
          I think it does what you expect from "multiview". Here is the help for the
          option:

          'suffixesadd' 'sua' string (default "")
          local to buffer
          {not in Vi}
          {not available when compiled without the
          |+file_in_path| feature}
          Comma separated list of suffixes, which are used when searching for a
          file for the "gf", "[I", etc. commands. Example:
          :set suffixesadd=.java

          It's still a bit short...

          187. You promise yourself that you'll only stay online for another
          15 minutes...at least once every hour.