Re: syn keyword ... fold

  • Stephen P. Wall
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 7, 2000
      > From: "Dr. Charles E. Campbell" <cec@...>
      >
      > I think one of my <engspchk.vim> users found a hidden reserved syntax
      > modifier; try this out:

      > "fold" does *not* get highlighted as Statement. Sounds like "fold"
      > is a reserved word for the 6.0 future!

      :help added-5.7
      "display" and "fold" arguments for syntax items. For future
      extension, they are ignored now.

      --
      Free High Speed DSL Access:
      http://in.winfire.com/s/isapiEng.dll/wf.exe?cmd=rl&452,180045277&wf.exe
      Message 2 of 3 , Jul 7, 2000
        Charles Campbell wrote:

        > I think one of my <engspchk.vim> users found a hidden reserved syntax
        > modifier; try this out:
        >
        > vi tmp
        > :so tmp.vim
        >
        > with the following two files:
        >
        > -- <tmp> ------------------------------------------------------------
        > fold crumple
        > -- <tmp.vim> --------------------------------------------------------
        > syn clear
        > syn keyword Example1 fold
        > syn keyword Example2 crumple
        > hi link Example1 Statement
        > hi link Example2 PreProc
        >
        > You'll see that "crumple" gets highlighted as PreProc which is just fine, but
        > "fold" does *not* get highlighted as Statement. Sounds like "fold" is a
        > reserved word for the 6.0 future!

        Right. Just above ":help fixed-5.7":

        "display" and "fold" arguments for syntax items. For future
        extension, they are ignored now.

        One complication: "fold" can no longer be used as a keyword. It requires
        using a match item. Same for "syntax", which is a problem with vim.vim.
        Oops, forgot about that for the 5.7 release...

        183. You move your coffeemaker next to your computer.

      • Dr. Charles E. Campbell
        Message 3 of 3 , Nov 27, 2005
          Hello!

          I think one of my <engspchk.vim> users found a hidden reserved syntax
          modifier; try this out:

          vi tmp
          :so tmp.vim

          with the following two files:

          -- <tmp> ------------------------------------------------------------
          fold crumple
          -- <tmp.vim> --------------------------------------------------------
          syn clear
          syn keyword Example1 fold
          syn keyword Example2 crumple
          hi link Example1 Statement
          hi link Example2 PreProc

          You'll see that "crumple" gets highlighted as PreProc which is just fine, but
          "fold" does *not* get highlighted as Statement. Sounds like "fold" is a
          reserved word for the 6.0 future!

          Just guessing,
          Dr C

          --