Re: [vim] garbage in small xterms

  • Neil Bird
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 5, 2000
      "Dr. Charles E. Campbell" wrote:
      > result resembles: (item on left is a scrollbar)
      >
      > +-+----------+
      > | | VIM- | | | <- usual iconify, whole-screen stuff
      > +-+----------+
      > | |1234567890|
      > | |3456789012|
      > | |5678901234|
      > | |7890123456|
      > | |90 |
      > | | ~ |
      > | | ~ |
      > | | ~ |
      > | | ~ |
      > (etc)

      Ah. My mistake - I was looking for <space> gapds, not missing-letter
      gaps! Yes, my latest xter/vim does the very same thing at <= 11 chars.
      width.

      Just tried with my gnome-terminal, and that's wrong too, but even more
      so, & terribly inconsistently, so I'd write that one off for now.

      cmdtool acts much the same.

      Seems to me,

      a) it *is* vim at fault, somehow miscalculating the terminal width.

      b) if you shrink it such that it fails, at least with gnome-tool and
      cmdtool you can 'nudge' the windows bigger & suddenly it works OK. Yep,
      you can with xterm too, if you're persistent, and resize thge window in
      tiny steps (even though they 'snap' the window size to a round no. of
      chars!). A little more investiagtion, and the terminal *is* getting bigger
      by one char, and 'showing' the missing letters.

      I wonder now if it /is/ vim; I feel that somehow it is, but I can't be
      certain.

      --
      =====================- http://www.racaldefence.com/ -===================
      Neil Bird |
      | If this .signature looks pants,
      mailto:neil.bird@... | then just stop using Outlook!
    • Naumann, Michael
      Message 2 of 3 , Jul 5, 2000
        > From: Neil Bird [mailto:neil.bird@...]
        >
        > b) if you shrink it such that it fails, at least with gnome-tool and
        > cmdtool you can 'nudge' the windows bigger & suddenly it
        > works OK. Yep,
        > you can with xterm too, if you're persistent, and resize thge
        > window in
        > tiny steps (even though they 'snap' the window size to a round no. of
        > chars!). A little more investiagtion, and the terminal *is*
        > getting bigger
        > by one char, and 'showing' the missing letters.

        I just tried the following, having a xterm/vim with 11 visible columns
        :se colums?
        gives 12
        :sh
        echo $COLUMNS
        gives 11

        > I wonder now if it /is/ vim; I feel that somehow it is, but
        > I can't be
        > certain.

        So do/am I

        Michael
      • Stephen P. Wall
        Message 3 of 3 , Jul 5, 2000
          > a) it *is* vim at fault, somehow miscalculating the terminal width.

          Vim appears to expect a minimum window size of 12 characters. The
          vanishing characters begin appearing for me when I resize to 11.
          Doing a ":set columns?" at that point (or any size less than that)
          results in "columns=12".

          Ok, I've checked the source, and there is a "MIN_COLUMNS" constant
          in vim.h that equates to 12. In term.c, the function "check_winsize()"
          sets the global "Columns" to "MIN_COLUMNS" if it is less than "MIN_COLUMNS".
          Without checking deeper, I'd say that this function is called anytime
          vim receives a SIGWINCH from the xterm. This would also explain why the
          gui would not shrink smaller than 12 columns. So there appears to be
          a hard limit of 12 columns minimum.

          --
          Free High Speed DSL Access:
          http://in.winfire.com/s/isapiEng.dll/wf.exe?cmd=rl&452,180045277&wf.exe