Re: Vim 5.7 / perl 5.6 update

  • Neil Bird
    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 5, 2000
      Bram Moolenaar wrote:
      > Strange that you have these problems. It works fine for me, and others
      > have reported that they can compile Vim with Perl without modifications.

      It is a little bizarre. Maybe some people who're actually following this
      thread can examine their 5.7 'if_perl.c' to see what the proc. specs. of
      things like XS_MIV_Msg have come out as (mine are "XS(XS_VIM_Msg)", e.g.),
      and what possible defs. of XS() they have in perl.../CORE/XSUB.h.

      Mine says:

      #if defined(__CYGWIN__) && defined(USE_DYNAMIC_LOADING)
      # define XS(name) __declspec(dllexport) void name(pTHXo_ CV* cv)
      #else
      # define XS(name) void name(pTHXo_ CV* cv)
      #endif

      I'll be picking up the second one; that's where that pTHXo_ jobby comes
      from. pTHXo_ is defined in perl.h, but I'm not 100% certain as to what it
      comes out to be. Hang on ...

      void XS_VIM_Msg (register PerlInterpreter *my_perl , CV* cv) ;
      ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

      My initial guyess would be that it's not 'cos I've built it on a Sun,
      but 'cos I've built the multi-threaded version - but then, I built the
      threaded perl 5.5.

      It's got a definition:

      #ifdef CAN_PROTOTYPE
      #ifdef PERL_OBJECT
      #define XS(name) void name(CV* cv, CPerlObj* pPerl)
      #else
      #define XS(name) void name(CV* cv)
      #endif
      #else
      #define XS(name) void name(cv) CV* cv;
      #endif

      ... but I can't say which of these I used to pick up.

      It still looks to me as if the 'XS()' macro should be used by vim to
      spec. the procedures instead of guessing what that macro outputs.

      > > Backslash found where operator expected at -e line 1, near ") \"
      > > (Missing operator before \?)
      >
      > ... Perhaps you are using a different "make" this time?

      D'Oh! Yes; I have Sun 'make' and GNU's make installed as 'gmake'.
      Previously, vim was one of the few remaining apps. that would build using
      either make, so I've become used to not noticing whcih one I type. I'll
      make a mental note to use gmake for vim now.

      If it wasn't for tha fact that our work stuff relies on things that Sun
      make does that gmake can't, I'd swap permanently!

      [actually, now I come to think about it, for a couple of days recently,
      I've been inadvertantly picking up another version of GNU make *called*
      make, so that probably caused my confusion]

      --
      =====================- http://www.racaldefence.com/ -===================
      Neil Bird |
      | If this .signature looks pants,
      mailto:neil.bird@... | then just stop using Outlook!
    • Dr. Charles E. Campbell
      Message 2 of 5 , Nov 25, 2005
        Bram Moolenaar wrote:
        > Strange that you have these problems. It works fine for me, and others
        > have reported that they can compile Vim with Perl without modifications.

        I have perl v5.6.0 built, but I was unable to build a vim with perl
        support for 5.6*. Guess I could try again.

        Regards,
        Dr C

        --
        Charles E Campbell, Jr, PhD _ __ __