RE: Gui popup and text mode Menus improvements patch to try

  • Michael Geddes
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 28, 2000

      I posted 'inteli.vim' recently that does context sensative completion of
      class methods (giving a popup list of all relevent methods) I did it before
      using an 'x' menu ( menu 1000.1 x.Method ) and then using simalt 'x'
      (which is win32, I know).
      It makes use of a special exuberant ctags file done on header files only (or
      tags file, but that is often not as good).

      It is triggered by <c-space> in insert mode.

      Intellisense menus are a MSDev thing, that (in msdev) automagically popup
      (or get triggered with <c-space> ) with a list of possible methods (and
      other stuff).

      Here is a description of what the macros do that might help.
      <<inteli.html>>

      > > In doing this (wanting intelli to work in text mode as well), I found
      > that
      > > there was a bug in :emenu that would cause funny behaviour in insert
      > mode
      > > using <c-o>. It would use the normal-mode menu when executed from
      > > <c-o>:emenu, only in insert mode.
      > >
      > > menu Fred.Test iHello<esc>
      > > exe "normal i\<c-o>:emenu Fred.Test\<cr>"
      > >
      > > inserts "iHello" - which is definitely wrong.
      >
      > Yeah, that should be fixed.
      Included in that patch (along with visual support - feedback on the cludge
      welcome :) )

      > > When using popup and tearoff, non-menu elements were presented as
      > options in
      > > complete/wildmenu, and the '\' characters were still showing (removed in
      > > emenu). The tearoff menu-item also appeared as a choice when completing
      > > from emenu. (If I wanted to tearoff, I'd use :tearoff)
      >
      > That's on Win32 only, other systems don't have the tearoff as a separate
      > item.
      Even better reason to fix it (patch includes this too). It would be nice to
      get popup working in gtk, and even nicer if it could be available in the
      console version in a manner similar to the emenu/wildmenu combination -
      thought that can always be done explicitly with :emenu ]Menu.<completion
      character>
      People using emenu (which is a very keyboard -oriented thing) aren't
      generally going to be using tearoffs (which is a very mouse -oriented thing)
      - which can be accessed fromthe menus anyway.

      One thing that patch did was to be more explicit about menus starting with
      ']' being hidden across platforms.
      I THINK this is a good thing.

      //.