Re: Patch for Borland C 5.5 to try out.

    Message 1 of 11 , May 19, 2000
      Ron Aaron wrote:

      > >There is nothing in the INSTALL.pc file...
      >
      > All that is necessary is to download one or the other of the gcc packages
      > here:
      > ftp://ftp.xraylith.wisc.edu/pub/khan/gnu-win32/mingw32/gcc-2.95.2/
      >
      > I use the MSVCRT version, as it doesn't have the problems the CRTDLL version
      > does:
      >
      > ftp://ftp.xraylith.wisc.edu/pub/khan/gnu-win32/mingw32/gcc-2.95.2/gcc-2.95.2-msvcrt.exe
      >
      > Just install the stuff to your disk, and put the place where gcc.exe is in
      > your PATH. On my NT system, it's:
      >
      > y:\tools\gcc-2.95.2\bin
      >
      > No other set up is required, the correct version of 'make' is already included
      > in this distribution.
      >
      > If you still have problems, let me know...

      I don't have problems myself, but I would like to see the INSTALL.pc file
      updated. Can you please make a patch for this file to include the info on the
      ming compiler? If you recommend using it, we better make this clear in the
      appropriate places and give step-by-step instructions.

      If you make a patch, please send it to the vim-dev list, so that others can
      add to it.

      --
      LAUNCELOT: I am, sir. I am a Knight of King Arthur.
      FATHER: 'Mm ... very nice castle, Camelot ... very good pig country....

      Message 2 of 11 , May 19, 2000
        raf wrote:

        > > The gcc compiler is a smaller download, and works properly, and is free as
        > > well. Why use the buggier, bigger Borland compiler?
        >
        > lcc is another good choice. a tiny download and it compiles very fast.
        > even if you don't use the compiler, using it's highly optimized windows.h
        > file can dramatically speed up other compilers.

        The info and recommendations on different compilers is scattered now. Perhaps
        someone can collect all this info and write some text for the INSTALL.pc file
        to help people that want to compile a Win32 version of Vim?

        It would be best if someone can try out and compare the different compilers.
        Compiling the different console and GUI variations there are quite a few
        combinations. It should be interesting to see how well various compilers work.

        --
        Yesterday is history.
        Tomorrow is a mystery.

      • Moore, Paul
        Message 3 of 11 , May 19, 2000
          From: Ron Aaron [mailto:ron@...]
          > ># Makefile for VIM on Win32, using 'EGCS/mingw32 1.1.2'.
          > ># Available at http://www.xraylith.wisc.edu/~khan/
          > ># Also requires 'GNU make 3.77', which you can get through a link
          > ># to 'JanJaap's page from the above page.
          > >
          > >Is this still valid?
          >
          > Not really. The right link to get to the mingw32 stuff is:
          > http://www.xraylith.wisc.edu/~khan/software/gnu-win32/index.html

          Actually, the generic mingw page is now www.mingw.org.

          Paul
        • Ron Aaron
          Message 4 of 11 , May 19, 2000
            Paul Moore <Paul.Moore@...-it.com> writes:
            >From: Ron Aaron [mailto:ron@...]
            >> Not really. The right link to get to the mingw32 stuff is:
            >> http://www.xraylith.wisc.edu/~khan/software/gnu-win32/index.html
            >
            >Actually, the generic mingw page is now www.mingw.org.
            >
            >Paul

            Thanks, Paul -- good link.