Re: multiple windows

    Message 1 of 6 , May 7, 2000
      Martijn van Beers wrote:

      > On Thu, May 04, 2000 at 11:12:13AM -0700, Andy Kahn wrote:
      > > On Thu, May 04, 2000 at 03:45:04PM +0200, Martijn van Beers wrote:
      > > > I've been looking through the source code, trying to see how hard
      > > > it would be to change vim to support having each window in a
      > > > seperate X window in the gui mode.
      > > This is definitely a non-trivial thing to do, especially since
      > > whatever changes you make needs to be done across all supported GUI
      > > interfaces. Ugh. I started some work on this a while back, but
      > > basically lost the will power to continue.
      >
      > Anything I could use to start from? Or should I just start from scratch?
      >
      > Also, what's the best way to do development against vim? make patches
      > against the latest release? Or is there a cvs repository somewhere?

      Before you do anything, think about the problems you will run into and how to
      solve them. For example, where will you put the command line? If each
      separate window has its own command line, check the code you need to change
      for this (probably a lot!). Also, can each window be in Insert or Normal
      mode? Probably. Then you can no longer use the global State variable. There
      are probably quite a few more like this. That's why I didn't try to implement
      this. You could check out Elvis, since it does have multiple toplevel
      windows.

      247. You use www.switchboard.com instead of dialing 411 and 555-12-12
      for directory assistance.

    • Martijn van Beers
      Message 2 of 6 , May 7, 2000
        On Sun, May 07, 2000 at 05:47:35PM +0200, Bram Moolenaar wrote:
        > Before you do anything, think about the problems you will run into and how to
        > solve them. For example, where will you put the command line? If each
        > separate window has its own command line, check the code you need to change
        > for this (probably a lot!). Also, can each window be in Insert or Normal
        > mode? Probably. Then you can no longer use the global State variable. There
        > are probably quite a few more like this. That's why I didn't try to implement
        > this. You could check out Elvis, since it does have multiple toplevel
        > windows.

        I probably am, since making vim do multiple windows wasn't my initial goal. I
        wanted to add bonobo (gnome's OLE-like component model) to vim, but this
        really needs multiple window support. I'm going to be trying to get that
        to work in elvis, but eventually I hope it will work in vim as well, so
        I'll probably be back on this. Thanks for the advice,

        Martijn

        --
        Martijn van Beers <martijn@...>