More vertical splitting

  • Tim
    Message 1 of 2 , May 6, 2000
      Is it possible to do the following:

      assume
      lines=70
      columns=160.

      I'm assuming that when a vertical split occurs, we'll have two windows 80
      columns each.

      So, suppose first, the entire vim window is 160x70.
      Suppose a user does :sp, so that there are two windows, 160x35 and 160x35.

      Can we do this?
      If the user has the top window focus, and does a vertical split, we'll have
      3 windows:
      80x35,80x35,160x35.

      So it looks like:

      -------------------------------------
      | | |
      | | |
      | | |
      -------------------------------------
      | |
      | |
      | |
      -------------------------------------

      Is that feasible (Bram)?
      Message 2 of 2 , May 7, 2000
        Tim wrote:

        > Is it possible to do the following:
        >
        > assume
        > lines=70
        > columns=160.
        >
        > I'm assuming that when a vertical split occurs, we'll have two windows 80
        > columns each.
        >
        > So, suppose first, the entire vim window is 160x70.
        > Suppose a user does :sp, so that there are two windows, 160x35 and 160x35.
        >
        > Can we do this?
        > If the user has the top window focus, and does a vertical split, we'll have
        > 3 windows:
        > 80x35,80x35,160x35.
        >
        > So it looks like:
        >
        > -------------------------------------
        > | | |
        > | | |
        > | | |
        > -------------------------------------
        > | |
        > | |
        > | |

        > Is that feasible (Bram)?

        Yes, you can mix splitting vertically and horizontally. The difficult part is
        to handle the difference in screen width and windows width. I have to check
        all code to use the right width. And the scrollbar code needs to be updated.
        But once that is done, it doesn't really matter how many splits you make.

        246. You use up your free 100 hours in less than a week.