Re: Docs, "Definintion"

  • Thomas Köhler
    Message 1 of 9 , May 4, 2000
      On Thu, May 04, 2000 at 10:42:33AM +0200,
      Bram Moolenaar <Bram@...> wrote:
      > > >6. Include file searches *include-search*
      > > >*definition-search*
      > >
      > > ohmygod .. now that is a cool feature (that I hadn't been aware of
      > > previously)
      > >
      > > tell me .. is there any ability built in to provide a suffix for this
      > > search to append during it's search for files ? .. strikes me that this
      > > would be useful for languages like Java and Perl where you don't supply
      > > a full filename - but rather a class or package name
      >
      > I'm working on this. I have a patch for it, but it has to be merged with
      > another one. This is for Vim 6.0...

      Yet another reason to stay tuned for vim-6 pre-releases :-)

      > > for much the same reason it would be nice to be able to specify some
      > > directory separator mapping type thing so that
      > >
      > > import java.net.Socket;
      > >
      > > in Java .. and
      > >
      > > use Data::Dumper;
      > >
      > > in Perl resulted in searches of <PATH>/java/net/Socket.java and
      > > <PATH>/Data/Dumper.pm respectively
      >
      > That's a new feature request.

      Yes, and one I'd also like to see :-)

      > Hmm, looks like we need some kind of substitute command. For example,
      > substitute "." with "/" and append ".java". Hmm, don't see how this
      > can be done with one substitute command. Perhaps an expression should
      > be used:
      >
      > javapath . substitute(v:name, '\.', "/", "g") . ".java"

      Yes, or

      perlpath . substitute(v:name, '::', '.', 'g') . '.pm'

      > > also .. it'd be nice to be able to specify wildcard characters so that
      > >
      > > import java.net.*;
      > >
      > > resulted in a search of all *.java files in that directory
      >
      > Hmm, it's possible, but this is yet another thing that has to be added.

      Well, not needed for my current perl coding, so this can wait :-)

      CU,
      Thomas [awaiting first vim-6 alpha release :-)]

      IRC: jeanluc | on All Real