multiple windows

  • Martijn van Beers
    Message 1 of 6 , May 4, 2000
      Hi,

      I've been looking through the source code, trying to see how hard
      it would be to change vim to support having each window in a
      seperate X window in the gui mode. This seems pretty hard. Have
      any other people been looking at this? Could anyone give me some
      hints on the best way to go about doing this?

      thanks,
      Martijn
    • Andy Kahn
      Message 2 of 6 , May 4, 2000
        On Thu, May 04, 2000 at 03:45:04PM +0200, Martijn van Beers wrote:
        > I've been looking through the source code, trying to see how hard
        > it would be to change vim to support having each window in a
        > seperate X window in the gui mode. This seems pretty hard. Have
        > any other people been looking at this? Could anyone give me some
        > hints on the best way to go about doing this?

        This is definitely a non-trivial thing to do, especially since
        whatever changes you make needs to be done across all supported GUI
        interfaces. Ugh. I started some work on this a while back, but
        basically lost the will power to continue.

        One of the things that needs to be done is to move all the
        global/static variables used in the GUI code inside the "Gui"
        structure. This is a mess since each GUI interface uses its own set
        of globals/statics. Double ugh.

        There's also the entire architecture of the GUI interface which could
        probably be cleaned up, but would be quite a bit of work too.
        --andy
      • Martijn van Beers
        Message 3 of 6 , May 6, 2000
          On Thu, May 04, 2000 at 11:12:13AM -0700, Andy Kahn wrote:
          > On Thu, May 04, 2000 at 03:45:04PM +0200, Martijn van Beers wrote:
          > > I've been looking through the source code, trying to see how hard
          > > it would be to change vim to support having each window in a
          > > seperate X window in the gui mode.
          > This is definitely a non-trivial thing to do, especially since
          > whatever changes you make needs to be done across all supported GUI
          > interfaces. Ugh. I started some work on this a while back, but
          > basically lost the will power to continue.

          Anything I could use to start from? Or should I just start from scratch?

          Also, what's the best way to do development against vim? make patches
          against the latest release? Or is there a cvs repository somewhere?

          cya,
          Martijn
        • Johannes Zellner
          Message 4 of 6 , May 6, 2000

            [...]
            http://cvs.vim.org/

            --
            Johannes
            Message 5 of 6 , May 7, 2000
              Martijn van Beers wrote:

              > On Thu, May 04, 2000 at 11:12:13AM -0700, Andy Kahn wrote:
              > > On Thu, May 04, 2000 at 03:45:04PM +0200, Martijn van Beers wrote:
              > > > I've been looking through the source code, trying to see how hard
              > > > it would be to change vim to support having each window in a
              > > > seperate X window in the gui mode.
              > > This is definitely a non-trivial thing to do, especially since
              > > whatever changes you make needs to be done across all supported GUI
              > > interfaces. Ugh. I started some work on this a while back, but
              > > basically lost the will power to continue.
              >
              > Anything I could use to start from? Or should I just start from scratch?
              >
              > Also, what's the best way to do development against vim? make patches
              > against the latest release? Or is there a cvs repository somewhere?

              Before you do anything, think about the problems you will run into and how to
              solve them. For example, where will you put the command line? If each
              separate window has its own command line, check the code you need to change
              for this (probably a lot!). Also, can each window be in Insert or Normal
              mode? Probably. Then you can no longer use the global State variable. There
              are probably quite a few more like this. That's why I didn't try to implement
              this. You could check out Elvis, since it does have multiple toplevel
              windows.

              247. You use www.switchboard.com instead of dialing 411 and 555-12-12
              for directory assistance.

            • Martijn van Beers
              Message 6 of 6 , May 7, 2000
                On Sun, May 07, 2000 at 05:47:35PM +0200, Bram Moolenaar wrote:
                > Before you do anything, think about the problems you will run into and how to
                > solve them. For example, where will you put the command line? If each
                > separate window has its own command line, check the code you need to change
                > for this (probably a lot!). Also, can each window be in Insert or Normal
                > mode? Probably. Then you can no longer use the global State variable. There
                > are probably quite a few more like this. That's why I didn't try to implement
                > this. You could check out Elvis, since it does have multiple toplevel
                > windows.

                I probably am, since making vim do multiple windows wasn't my initial goal. I
                wanted to add bonobo (gnome's OLE-like component model) to vim, but this
                really needs multiple window support. I'm going to be trying to get that
                to work in elvis, but eventually I hope it will work in vim as well, so
                I'll probably be back on this. Thanks for the advice,

                Martijn

                --
                Martijn van Beers <martijn@...>