RE: Docs, "Definintion"

  • Hugh Sasse Staff Elec Eng
    Message 1 of 9 , May 4, 2000
      On Thu, 4 May 2000, Bram Moolenaar wrote:

      > Hugh Sasse wrote:

      No I didn't! I wrote the stuff that has been trimmed away!
      :-)
      Hugh
      hgs@...

      > > >6. Include file searches *include-search*
      > > >*definition-search*
      > >
      > > ohmygod .. now that is a cool feature (that I hadn't been aware of
      > > previously)
      > >
      > > tell me .. is there any ability built in to provide a suffix for this
      > > search to append during it's search for files ? .. strikes me that this
      > > would be useful for languages like Java and Perl where you don't supply
      > > a full filename - but rather a class or package name
      >
      > I'm working on this. I have a patch for it, but it has to be merged with
      > another one. This is for Vim 6.0...
      >
      > > for much the same reason it would be nice to be able to specify some
      > > directory separator mapping type thing so that
      > >
      > > import java.net.Socket;
      > >
      > > in Java .. and
      > >
      > > use Data::Dumper;
      > >
      > > in Perl resulted in searches of <PATH>/java/net/Socket.java and
      > > <PATH>/Data/Dumper.pm respectively
      >
      > That's a new feature request. Hmm, looks like we need some kind of substitute
      > command. For example, substitute "." with "/" and append ".java". Hmm, don't
      > see how this can be done with one substitute command. Perhaps an expression
      > should be used:
      >
      > javapath . substitute(v:name, '\.', "/", "g") . ".java"
      >
      > > also .. it'd be nice to be able to specify wildcard characters so that
      > >
      > > import java.net.*;
      > >
      > > resulted in a search of all *.java files in that directory
      >
      > Hmm, it's possible, but this is yet another thing that has to be added.
      >
      > > if no one wants to look at this then I will have a (fairly) novice
      > > attempt - all I ask is that someone points me in the direction of the
      > > relevant source code (having zero experience with the source it could
      > > take me all day to find this stuff)
      >
      > If you want to have a try, look in the function find_file_in_path() in
      > src/window.c. Search for the use of "mch_getperm()", which is the check for
      > existence of the file.
      >
      > --
      > 214. Your MCI "Circle of Friends" are all Hayes-compatible.
      >
      > /-/-- Bram Moolenaar --- Bram@... --- http://www.moolenaar.net --\-\
      > \-\-- Vim: http://www.vim.org ---- ICCF Holland: http://www.vim.org/iccf --/-/

    • Thomas Köhler
      Message 2 of 9 , May 4, 2000
        On Thu, May 04, 2000 at 10:42:33AM +0200,
        Bram Moolenaar <Bram@...> wrote:
        > > >6. Include file searches *include-search*
        > > >*definition-search*
        > >
        > > ohmygod .. now that is a cool feature (that I hadn't been aware of
        > > previously)
        > >
        > > tell me .. is there any ability built in to provide a suffix for this
        > > search to append during it's search for files ? .. strikes me that this
        > > would be useful for languages like Java and Perl where you don't supply
        > > a full filename - but rather a class or package name
        >
        > I'm working on this. I have a patch for it, but it has to be merged with
        > another one. This is for Vim 6.0...

        Yet another reason to stay tuned for vim-6 pre-releases :-)

        > > for much the same reason it would be nice to be able to specify some
        > > directory separator mapping type thing so that
        > >
        > > import java.net.Socket;
        > >
        > > in Java .. and
        > >
        > > use Data::Dumper;
        > >
        > > in Perl resulted in searches of <PATH>/java/net/Socket.java and
        > > <PATH>/Data/Dumper.pm respectively
        >
        > That's a new feature request.

        Yes, and one I'd also like to see :-)

        > Hmm, looks like we need some kind of substitute command. For example,
        > substitute "." with "/" and append ".java". Hmm, don't see how this
        > can be done with one substitute command. Perhaps an expression should
        > be used:
        >
        > javapath . substitute(v:name, '\.', "/", "g") . ".java"

        Yes, or

        perlpath . substitute(v:name, '::', '.', 'g') . '.pm'

        > > also .. it'd be nice to be able to specify wildcard characters so that
        > >
        > > import java.net.*;
        > >
        > > resulted in a search of all *.java files in that directory
        >
        > Hmm, it's possible, but this is yet another thing that has to be added.

        Well, not needed for my current perl coding, so this can wait :-)

        CU,
        Thomas [awaiting first vim-6 alpha release :-)]

        IRC: jeanluc | on All Real