RE: Docs, "Definintion"

    Message 1 of 9 , May 4, 2000
      Hugh Sasse wrote:
      > >6. Include file searches *include-search*
      > >*definition-search*
      >
      > ohmygod .. now that is a cool feature (that I hadn't been aware of
      > previously)
      >
      > tell me .. is there any ability built in to provide a suffix for this
      > search to append during it's search for files ? .. strikes me that this
      > would be useful for languages like Java and Perl where you don't supply
      > a full filename - but rather a class or package name

      I'm working on this. I have a patch for it, but it has to be merged with
      another one. This is for Vim 6.0...

      > for much the same reason it would be nice to be able to specify some
      > directory separator mapping type thing so that
      >
      > import java.net.Socket;
      >
      > in Java .. and
      >
      > use Data::Dumper;
      >
      > in Perl resulted in searches of <PATH>/java/net/Socket.java and
      > <PATH>/Data/Dumper.pm respectively

      That's a new feature request. Hmm, looks like we need some kind of substitute
      command. For example, substitute "." with "/" and append ".java". Hmm, don't
      see how this can be done with one substitute command. Perhaps an expression
      should be used:

      javapath . substitute(v:name, '\.', "/", "g") . ".java"

      > also .. it'd be nice to be able to specify wildcard characters so that
      >
      > import java.net.*;
      >
      > resulted in a search of all *.java files in that directory

      Hmm, it's possible, but this is yet another thing that has to be added.

      > if no one wants to look at this then I will have a (fairly) novice
      > attempt - all I ask is that someone points me in the direction of the
      > relevant source code (having zero experience with the source it could
      > take me all day to find this stuff)

      If you want to have a try, look in the function find_file_in_path() in
      src/window.c. Search for the use of "mch_getperm()", which is the check for
      existence of the file.

      214. Your MCI "Circle of Friends" are all Hayes-compatible.

    • Hugh Sasse Staff Elec Eng
      Message 2 of 9 , May 4, 2000
        On Thu, 4 May 2000, Bram Moolenaar wrote:

        > Hugh Sasse wrote:

        No I didn't! I wrote the stuff that has been trimmed away!
        :-)
        Hugh
        hgs@...

        > > >6. Include file searches *include-search*
        > > >*definition-search*
        > >
        > > ohmygod .. now that is a cool feature (that I hadn't been aware of
        > > previously)
        > >
        > > tell me .. is there any ability built in to provide a suffix for this
        > > search to append during it's search for files ? .. strikes me that this
        > > would be useful for languages like Java and Perl where you don't supply
        > > a full filename - but rather a class or package name
        >
        > I'm working on this. I have a patch for it, but it has to be merged with
        > another one. This is for Vim 6.0...
        >
        > > for much the same reason it would be nice to be able to specify some
        > > directory separator mapping type thing so that
        > >
        > > import java.net.Socket;
        > >
        > > in Java .. and
        > >
        > > use Data::Dumper;
        > >
        > > in Perl resulted in searches of <PATH>/java/net/Socket.java and
        > > <PATH>/Data/Dumper.pm respectively
        >
        > That's a new feature request. Hmm, looks like we need some kind of substitute
        > command. For example, substitute "." with "/" and append ".java". Hmm, don't
        > see how this can be done with one substitute command. Perhaps an expression
        > should be used:
        >
        > javapath . substitute(v:name, '\.', "/", "g") . ".java"
        >
        > > also .. it'd be nice to be able to specify wildcard characters so that
        > >
        > > import java.net.*;
        > >
        > > resulted in a search of all *.java files in that directory
        >
        > Hmm, it's possible, but this is yet another thing that has to be added.
        >
        > > if no one wants to look at this then I will have a (fairly) novice
        > > attempt - all I ask is that someone points me in the direction of the
        > > relevant source code (having zero experience with the source it could
        > > take me all day to find this stuff)
        >
        > If you want to have a try, look in the function find_file_in_path() in
        > src/window.c. Search for the use of "mch_getperm()", which is the check for
        > existence of the file.
        >
        > --
        > 214. Your MCI "Circle of Friends" are all Hayes-compatible.
        >
        > /-/-- Bram Moolenaar --- Bram@... --- http://www.moolenaar.net --\-\
        > \-\-- Vim: http://www.vim.org ---- ICCF Holland: http://www.vim.org/iccf --/-/

      • Thomas Köhler
        Message 3 of 9 , May 4, 2000
          On Thu, May 04, 2000 at 10:42:33AM +0200,
          Bram Moolenaar <Bram@...> wrote:
          > > >6. Include file searches *include-search*
          > > >*definition-search*
          > >
          > > ohmygod .. now that is a cool feature (that I hadn't been aware of
          > > previously)
          > >
          > > tell me .. is there any ability built in to provide a suffix for this
          > > search to append during it's search for files ? .. strikes me that this
          > > would be useful for languages like Java and Perl where you don't supply
          > > a full filename - but rather a class or package name
          >
          > I'm working on this. I have a patch for it, but it has to be merged with
          > another one. This is for Vim 6.0...

          Yet another reason to stay tuned for vim-6 pre-releases :-)

          > > for much the same reason it would be nice to be able to specify some
          > > directory separator mapping type thing so that
          > >
          > > import java.net.Socket;
          > >
          > > in Java .. and
          > >
          > > use Data::Dumper;
          > >
          > > in Perl resulted in searches of <PATH>/java/net/Socket.java and
          > > <PATH>/Data/Dumper.pm respectively
          >
          > That's a new feature request.

          Yes, and one I'd also like to see :-)

          > Hmm, looks like we need some kind of substitute command. For example,
          > substitute "." with "/" and append ".java". Hmm, don't see how this
          > can be done with one substitute command. Perhaps an expression should
          > be used:
          >
          > javapath . substitute(v:name, '\.', "/", "g") . ".java"

          Yes, or

          perlpath . substitute(v:name, '::', '.', 'g') . '.pm'

          > > also .. it'd be nice to be able to specify wildcard characters so that
          > >
          > > import java.net.*;
          > >
          > > resulted in a search of all *.java files in that directory
          >
          > Hmm, it's possible, but this is yet another thing that has to be added.

          Well, not needed for my current perl coding, so this can wait :-)

          CU,
          Thomas [awaiting first vim-6 alpha release :-)]

          IRC: jeanluc | on All Real