RE: Docs, "Definintion"

  • jason
    Message 1 of 9 , May 3 4:22 PM
      Bram Moolenaar wrote ..

      >Hugh Sasse wrote:
      >
      >> So why could I not find the word "definition" in the
      >> documentation? My point is that this is a useful thing to be
      >> able to do, so the docs should help you find this ability to
      >> find definitions :-).
      >
      >I got that point, I added a tag to the documentation, but
      >didn't mention it:
      >
      >6. Include file searches *include-search*
      >*definition-search*

      ohmygod .. now that is a cool feature (that I hadn't been aware of
      previously)

      tell me .. is there any ability built in to provide a suffix for this
      search to append during it's search for files ? .. strikes me that this
      would be useful for languages like Java and Perl where you don't supply
      a full filename - but rather a class or package name

      for much the same reason it would be nice to be able to specify some
      directory separator mapping type thing so that

      import java.net.Socket;

      in Java .. and

      use Data::Dumper;

      in Perl resulted in searches of <PATH>/java/net/Socket.java and
      <PATH>/Data/Dumper.pm respectively

      also .. it'd be nice to be able to specify wildcard characters so that

      import java.net.*;

      resulted in a search of all *.java files in that directory

      if no one wants to look at this then I will have a (fairly) novice
      attempt - all I ask is that someone points me in the direction of the
      relevant source code (having zero experience with the source it could
      take me all day to find this stuff)

      --
      jason -- elephant@... --
    • Hugh Sasse Staff Elec Eng
      Message 2 of 9 , May 4 1:08 AM
        On Wed, 3 May 2000, Bram Moolenaar wrote:

        > Hugh Sasse wrote:
        >
        > > able to do, so the docs should help you find this ability to
        > > find definitions :-).
        >
        > I got that point, I added a tag to the documentation, but didn't mention it:
        >
        > 6. Include file searches *include-search* *definition-search*

        Thank you.

        > --
        > Your mouse has moved. Windows must be restarted for the change
        > to take effect. Reboot now?

        :-)

        > /-/-- Bram Moolenaar --- Bram@... --- http://www.moolenaar.net --\-\
        > \-\-- Vim: http://www.vim.org ---- ICCF Holland: http://www.vim.org/iccf --/-/

        Hugh
        Message 3 of 9 , May 4 1:43 AM
          Hugh Sasse wrote:
          > >6. Include file searches *include-search*
          > >*definition-search*
          >
          > ohmygod .. now that is a cool feature (that I hadn't been aware of
          > previously)
          >
          > tell me .. is there any ability built in to provide a suffix for this
          > search to append during it's search for files ? .. strikes me that this
          > would be useful for languages like Java and Perl where you don't supply
          > a full filename - but rather a class or package name

          I'm working on this. I have a patch for it, but it has to be merged with
          another one. This is for Vim 6.0...

          > for much the same reason it would be nice to be able to specify some
          > directory separator mapping type thing so that
          >
          > import java.net.Socket;
          >
          > in Java .. and
          >
          > use Data::Dumper;
          >
          > in Perl resulted in searches of <PATH>/java/net/Socket.java and
          > <PATH>/Data/Dumper.pm respectively

          That's a new feature request. Hmm, looks like we need some kind of substitute
          command. For example, substitute "." with "/" and append ".java". Hmm, don't
          see how this can be done with one substitute command. Perhaps an expression
          should be used:

          javapath . substitute(v:name, '\.', "/", "g") . ".java"

          > also .. it'd be nice to be able to specify wildcard characters so that
          >
          > import java.net.*;
          >
          > resulted in a search of all *.java files in that directory

          Hmm, it's possible, but this is yet another thing that has to be added.

          > if no one wants to look at this then I will have a (fairly) novice
          > attempt - all I ask is that someone points me in the direction of the
          > relevant source code (having zero experience with the source it could
          > take me all day to find this stuff)

          If you want to have a try, look in the function find_file_in_path() in
          src/window.c. Search for the use of "mch_getperm()", which is the check for
          existence of the file.

          214. Your MCI "Circle of Friends" are all Hayes-compatible.

        • Hugh Sasse Staff Elec Eng
          Message 4 of 9 , May 4 1:53 AM
            On Thu, 4 May 2000, Bram Moolenaar wrote:

            > Hugh Sasse wrote:

            No I didn't! I wrote the stuff that has been trimmed away!
            :-)
            Hugh
            hgs@...

            > > >6. Include file searches *include-search*
            > > >*definition-search*
            > >
            > > ohmygod .. now that is a cool feature (that I hadn't been aware of
            > > previously)
            > >
            > > tell me .. is there any ability built in to provide a suffix for this
            > > search to append during it's search for files ? .. strikes me that this
            > > would be useful for languages like Java and Perl where you don't supply
            > > a full filename - but rather a class or package name
            >
            > I'm working on this. I have a patch for it, but it has to be merged with
            > another one. This is for Vim 6.0...
            >
            > > for much the same reason it would be nice to be able to specify some
            > > directory separator mapping type thing so that
            > >
            > > import java.net.Socket;
            > >
            > > in Java .. and
            > >
            > > use Data::Dumper;
            > >
            > > in Perl resulted in searches of <PATH>/java/net/Socket.java and
            > > <PATH>/Data/Dumper.pm respectively
            >
            > That's a new feature request. Hmm, looks like we need some kind of substitute
            > command. For example, substitute "." with "/" and append ".java". Hmm, don't
            > see how this can be done with one substitute command. Perhaps an expression
            > should be used:
            >
            > javapath . substitute(v:name, '\.', "/", "g") . ".java"
            >
            > > also .. it'd be nice to be able to specify wildcard characters so that
            > >
            > > import java.net.*;
            > >
            > > resulted in a search of all *.java files in that directory
            >
            > Hmm, it's possible, but this is yet another thing that has to be added.
            >
            > > if no one wants to look at this then I will have a (fairly) novice
            > > attempt - all I ask is that someone points me in the direction of the
            > > relevant source code (having zero experience with the source it could
            > > take me all day to find this stuff)
            >
            > If you want to have a try, look in the function find_file_in_path() in
            > src/window.c. Search for the use of "mch_getperm()", which is the check for
            > existence of the file.
            >
            > --
            > 214. Your MCI "Circle of Friends" are all Hayes-compatible.
            >
            > /-/-- Bram Moolenaar --- Bram@... --- http://www.moolenaar.net --\-\
            > \-\-- Vim: http://www.vim.org ---- ICCF Holland: http://www.vim.org/iccf --/-/

          • Thomas Köhler
            Message 5 of 9 , May 4 3:35 AM
              On Thu, May 04, 2000 at 10:42:33AM +0200,
              Bram Moolenaar <Bram@...> wrote:
              > > >6. Include file searches *include-search*
              > > >*definition-search*
              > >
              > > ohmygod .. now that is a cool feature (that I hadn't been aware of
              > > previously)
              > >
              > > tell me .. is there any ability built in to provide a suffix for this
              > > search to append during it's search for files ? .. strikes me that this
              > > would be useful for languages like Java and Perl where you don't supply
              > > a full filename - but rather a class or package name
              >
              > I'm working on this. I have a patch for it, but it has to be merged with
              > another one. This is for Vim 6.0...

              Yet another reason to stay tuned for vim-6 pre-releases :-)

              > > for much the same reason it would be nice to be able to specify some
              > > directory separator mapping type thing so that
              > >
              > > import java.net.Socket;
              > >
              > > in Java .. and
              > >
              > > use Data::Dumper;
              > >
              > > in Perl resulted in searches of <PATH>/java/net/Socket.java and
              > > <PATH>/Data/Dumper.pm respectively
              >
              > That's a new feature request.

              Yes, and one I'd also like to see :-)

              > Hmm, looks like we need some kind of substitute command. For example,
              > substitute "." with "/" and append ".java". Hmm, don't see how this
              > can be done with one substitute command. Perhaps an expression should
              > be used:
              >
              > javapath . substitute(v:name, '\.', "/", "g") . ".java"

              Yes, or

              perlpath . substitute(v:name, '::', '.', 'g') . '.pm'

              > > also .. it'd be nice to be able to specify wildcard characters so that
              > >
              > > import java.net.*;
              > >
              > > resulted in a search of all *.java files in that directory
              >
              > Hmm, it's possible, but this is yet another thing that has to be added.

              Well, not needed for my current perl coding, so this can wait :-)

              CU,
              Thomas [awaiting first vim-6 alpha release :-)]

              IRC: jeanluc | on All Real