Re: Docs, "Definintion"

    Message 1 of 9 , May 3, 2000
      Hugh Sasse wrote:

      > So why could I not find the word "definition" in the
      > documentation? My point is that this is a useful thing to be
      > able to do, so the docs should help you find this ability to
      > find definitions :-).

      I got that point, I added a tag to the documentation, but didn't mention it:

      6. Include file searches *include-search* *definition-search*

      --
      Your mouse has moved. Windows must be restarted for the change
      to take effect. Reboot now?

    • jason
      Message 2 of 9 , May 3, 2000
        Bram Moolenaar wrote ..

        >Hugh Sasse wrote:
        >
        >> So why could I not find the word "definition" in the
        >> documentation? My point is that this is a useful thing to be
        >> able to do, so the docs should help you find this ability to
        >> find definitions :-).
        >
        >I got that point, I added a tag to the documentation, but
        >didn't mention it:
        >
        >6. Include file searches *include-search*
        >*definition-search*

        ohmygod .. now that is a cool feature (that I hadn't been aware of
        previously)

        tell me .. is there any ability built in to provide a suffix for this
        search to append during it's search for files ? .. strikes me that this
        would be useful for languages like Java and Perl where you don't supply
        a full filename - but rather a class or package name

        for much the same reason it would be nice to be able to specify some
        directory separator mapping type thing so that

        import java.net.Socket;

        in Java .. and

        use Data::Dumper;

        in Perl resulted in searches of <PATH>/java/net/Socket.java and
        <PATH>/Data/Dumper.pm respectively

        also .. it'd be nice to be able to specify wildcard characters so that

        import java.net.*;

        resulted in a search of all *.java files in that directory

        if no one wants to look at this then I will have a (fairly) novice
        attempt - all I ask is that someone points me in the direction of the
        relevant source code (having zero experience with the source it could
        take me all day to find this stuff)

        --
        jason -- elephant@... --
      • Hugh Sasse Staff Elec Eng
        Message 3 of 9 , May 4, 2000
          On Wed, 3 May 2000, Bram Moolenaar wrote:

          > Hugh Sasse wrote:
          >
          > > able to do, so the docs should help you find this ability to
          > > find definitions :-).
          >
          > I got that point, I added a tag to the documentation, but didn't mention it:
          >
          > 6. Include file searches *include-search* *definition-search*

          Thank you.

          > --
          > Your mouse has moved. Windows must be restarted for the change
          > to take effect. Reboot now?

          :-)

          > /-/-- Bram Moolenaar --- Bram@... --- http://www.moolenaar.net --\-\
          > \-\-- Vim: http://www.vim.org ---- ICCF Holland: http://www.vim.org/iccf --/-/

          Hugh
          Message 4 of 9 , May 4, 2000
            Hugh Sasse wrote:
            > >6. Include file searches *include-search*
            > >*definition-search*
            >
            > ohmygod .. now that is a cool feature (that I hadn't been aware of
            > previously)
            >
            > tell me .. is there any ability built in to provide a suffix for this
            > search to append during it's search for files ? .. strikes me that this
            > would be useful for languages like Java and Perl where you don't supply
            > a full filename - but rather a class or package name

            I'm working on this. I have a patch for it, but it has to be merged with
            another one. This is for Vim 6.0...

            > for much the same reason it would be nice to be able to specify some
            > directory separator mapping type thing so that
            >
            > import java.net.Socket;
            >
            > in Java .. and
            >
            > use Data::Dumper;
            >
            > in Perl resulted in searches of <PATH>/java/net/Socket.java and
            > <PATH>/Data/Dumper.pm respectively

            That's a new feature request. Hmm, looks like we need some kind of substitute
            command. For example, substitute "." with "/" and append ".java". Hmm, don't
            see how this can be done with one substitute command. Perhaps an expression
            should be used:

            javapath . substitute(v:name, '\.', "/", "g") . ".java"

            > also .. it'd be nice to be able to specify wildcard characters so that
            >
            > import java.net.*;
            >
            > resulted in a search of all *.java files in that directory

            Hmm, it's possible, but this is yet another thing that has to be added.

            > if no one wants to look at this then I will have a (fairly) novice
            > attempt - all I ask is that someone points me in the direction of the
            > relevant source code (having zero experience with the source it could
            > take me all day to find this stuff)

            If you want to have a try, look in the function find_file_in_path() in
            src/window.c. Search for the use of "mch_getperm()", which is the check for
            existence of the file.

            214. Your MCI "Circle of Friends" are all Hayes-compatible.

          • Hugh Sasse Staff Elec Eng
            Message 5 of 9 , May 4, 2000
              On Thu, 4 May 2000, Bram Moolenaar wrote:

              > Hugh Sasse wrote:

              No I didn't! I wrote the stuff that has been trimmed away!
              :-)
              Hugh
              hgs@...

              > > >6. Include file searches *include-search*
              > > >*definition-search*
              > >
              > > ohmygod .. now that is a cool feature (that I hadn't been aware of
              > > previously)
              > >
              > > tell me .. is there any ability built in to provide a suffix for this
              > > search to append during it's search for files ? .. strikes me that this
              > > would be useful for languages like Java and Perl where you don't supply
              > > a full filename - but rather a class or package name
              >
              > I'm working on this. I have a patch for it, but it has to be merged with
              > another one. This is for Vim 6.0...
              >
              > > for much the same reason it would be nice to be able to specify some
              > > directory separator mapping type thing so that
              > >
              > > import java.net.Socket;
              > >
              > > in Java .. and
              > >
              > > use Data::Dumper;
              > >
              > > in Perl resulted in searches of <PATH>/java/net/Socket.java and
              > > <PATH>/Data/Dumper.pm respectively
              >
              > That's a new feature request. Hmm, looks like we need some kind of substitute
              > command. For example, substitute "." with "/" and append ".java". Hmm, don't
              > see how this can be done with one substitute command. Perhaps an expression
              > should be used:
              >
              > javapath . substitute(v:name, '\.', "/", "g") . ".java"
              >
              > > also .. it'd be nice to be able to specify wildcard characters so that
              > >
              > > import java.net.*;
              > >
              > > resulted in a search of all *.java files in that directory
              >
              > Hmm, it's possible, but this is yet another thing that has to be added.
              >
              > > if no one wants to look at this then I will have a (fairly) novice
              > > attempt - all I ask is that someone points me in the direction of the
              > > relevant source code (having zero experience with the source it could
              > > take me all day to find this stuff)
              >
              > If you want to have a try, look in the function find_file_in_path() in
              > src/window.c. Search for the use of "mch_getperm()", which is the check for
              > existence of the file.
              >
              > --
              > 214. Your MCI "Circle of Friends" are all Hayes-compatible.
              >
              > /-/-- Bram Moolenaar --- Bram@... --- http://www.moolenaar.net --\-\
              > \-\-- Vim: http://www.vim.org ---- ICCF Holland: http://www.vim.org/iccf --/-/

            • Thomas Köhler
              Message 6 of 9 , May 4, 2000
                On Thu, May 04, 2000 at 10:42:33AM +0200,
                Bram Moolenaar <Bram@...> wrote:
                > > >6. Include file searches *include-search*
                > > >*definition-search*
                > >
                > > ohmygod .. now that is a cool feature (that I hadn't been aware of
                > > previously)
                > >
                > > tell me .. is there any ability built in to provide a suffix for this
                > > search to append during it's search for files ? .. strikes me that this
                > > would be useful for languages like Java and Perl where you don't supply
                > > a full filename - but rather a class or package name
                >
                > I'm working on this. I have a patch for it, but it has to be merged with
                > another one. This is for Vim 6.0...

                Yet another reason to stay tuned for vim-6 pre-releases :-)

                > > for much the same reason it would be nice to be able to specify some
                > > directory separator mapping type thing so that
                > >
                > > import java.net.Socket;
                > >
                > > in Java .. and
                > >
                > > use Data::Dumper;
                > >
                > > in Perl resulted in searches of <PATH>/java/net/Socket.java and
                > > <PATH>/Data/Dumper.pm respectively
                >
                > That's a new feature request.

                Yes, and one I'd also like to see :-)

                > Hmm, looks like we need some kind of substitute command. For example,
                > substitute "." with "/" and append ".java". Hmm, don't see how this
                > can be done with one substitute command. Perhaps an expression should
                > be used:
                >
                > javapath . substitute(v:name, '\.', "/", "g") . ".java"

                Yes, or

                perlpath . substitute(v:name, '::', '.', 'g') . '.pm'

                > > also .. it'd be nice to be able to specify wildcard characters so that
                > >
                > > import java.net.*;
                > >
                > > resulted in a search of all *.java files in that directory
                >
                > Hmm, it's possible, but this is yet another thing that has to be added.

                Well, not needed for my current perl coding, so this can wait :-)

                CU,
                Thomas [awaiting first vim-6 alpha release :-)]

                IRC: jeanluc | on All Real