Junk mail

  • Stephen P. Wall
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 26, 2000
      Has anyone else on this list besides me recently started getting
      a bunch of junk mail at the address they subscribed with? I am
      subscribed with my work address, and never got junk mail here until
      this week. We might have a spammer using the list to obtain
      email addresses.....
    • Sven Guckes
      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 26, 2000
        * Stephen P. Wall <swall@...> [000426 13:43]:
        > Has anyone else on this list besides me recently started getting
        > a bunch of junk mail at the address they subscribed with?
        > I am subscribed with my work address, and never got junk
        > mail here until this week. We might have a spammer using
        > the list to obtain email addresses.....

        I can assure that the database of the maillists are kept a secret!

        However, I find that the log file for XFree86 has your name and address:

        page: http://www.clark.net/pub/dickey/xterm/xterm.log.html
        text: "Two changes from Stephen P Wall <steve_wall@...>."

        Maybe this can be the reason?

        Sven
      • Stephen P. Wall
        Message 3 of 3 , Apr 26, 2000
          > I can assure that the database of the maillists are kept a secret!

          Yes, but someone could certainly subcscribe, and cull addresses of those
          who send to the list. I was certainly not implying that you would sell
          the vim mailing list.

          > However, I find that the log file for XFree86 has your name and address:
          >
          > page: http://www.clark.net/pub/dickey/xterm/xterm.log.html
          > text: "Two changes from Stephen P Wall <steve_wall@...>."
          >
          > Maybe this can be the reason?

          Could be, though that has been in there for a long time, and I only
          started getting junk mail this week. I tied it to the Vim list because
          I had switched to the digest before going on vacation, and switched back
          to the normal list when I returned on Monday, which is when I started
          getting junk.

          I think I will contact Thomas and asked that my e-mail not be posted,
          though...

          --
          Free High Speed DSL Access:
          http://in.winfire.com/s/isapiEng.dll/wf.exe?cmd=rl&452,180045277&wf.exe