Re: Is there a way to not show 'non-printables' in vim?

  • Ron Aaron
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 24, 2000
      Benji Fisher <benji@...> writes:
      >Ron Aaron wrote:
      >> I have a file which has characters which are necessary to the file, but which
      >> don't render properly in the font I have available. I would like to keep the
      >> characters, but ignore them for display.

      > You are not trying to read word processor files in vim, are you?
      >You could get them to appear as blanks by defining a syntax item for
      >them and then setting the foreground color equal to the background color
      >for that group. I cannot think of anything better.

      No, I'm just trying to read a Hebrew file which has vowels. The vowels need
      to be printed overtop the preceding consonant, but vim has no such capability
      (Arabic/Urdu/Farsi has the same problem). To compound the problem, the
      fixed-font I have on Linux does not display the vowels at all, rather it shows
      ugly hi-ascii characters, which is distracting.

      Normally I wouldn't need this, but it makes reading vowelized Hebrew text very
      difficult in vim.

      What I *really* would like is two options:

      isinvisible - characters which should be visually ignored
      isstrikeover - characters which, when found, should be written over
      previous char

      But I would settle for the first one as it would make it possible to at least
      view the file normally.

      Regards,
      Ron