completion of environment variables

  • Johannes Zellner
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 6, 2000
      Hello,

      is there a way to make vim complete environment
      variables (like options) ?

      works:
      :echo &te<wildchar>
      does not work:
      :echo $CF<wildchar>

      would also be useful in (e.g.)
      i_<c-r>=$CF<wildchar>

      --
      Johannes
    • Sven Guckes
      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 6, 2000
        * Johannes Zellner <johannes@...> [000406 13:51]:
        > is there a way to make vim complete
        > environment variables (like options)?

        Shouldn't this be a feature of a shell?
        Looks like everyone wants Vim's command
        line to be a replacement for the shell..
        How about ":shell"? ;-)

        Sven
      • Andy Kahn
        Message 3 of 3 , Apr 6, 2000
          On Thu, Apr 06, 2000 at 03:53:28PM +0200, Sven Guckes wrote:
          > * Johannes Zellner <johannes@...> [000406 13:51]:
          > > is there a way to make vim complete
          > > environment variables (like options)?
          >
          > Shouldn't this be a feature of a shell?

          Perhaps, but vim's command line already has some shell-like features
          regarding completion.

          For example, if you type:

          :so $VIMRUNTIME<tab>

          The <tab> would actually expand $VIMRUNTIME into what it really
          is. e.g.,:

          :so /usr/share/vim/vim56/

          It's only intuitive that we expect completion of environment variables
          as well.

          The hard part is that if completion of environment variables were
          added, it would conflict with the above, existing behavior.
          --andy