How to avoid...

  • Zdenek Sekera
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 4, 2000
      When reading (:r) or writing (:w) a file in/from vim, vim writes
      at the bottom the line containing the file name and it's length (number
      of lines read/written). When I use this in scripts I find it
      annoying because it is often a cause for 'type RETURN' message
      and, in fact, in these cases I really don't want to know these
      details about that file at all.

      I'd like to suppress these messages somehow, so far without a success.
      Any idea?

      I tried different combos (such as :r followed by :echo "" etc)
      but even if it may work sometimes, it doesn't other times depending
      on cmdheight setting).

      Ran out of ideas....

      Too bad we don't have a control over the vim messages via setting
      of some variable.

      ---Zdenek