Re: syn question

  • Stephen P. Wall
    Message 1 of 8 , Apr 11, 2000
      > From: Johannes Zellner <johannes@...>
      >
      > but it restricts me to groups which were defined
      > to be contained in b:current_syntax.'Comment'

      Yes. Almost half of the syntax files include a Todo item.
      And as I said, it will only be in comments. Maybe you could implement
      a new syntax keyword, "containedall":

      syntax match eMail "johannes@..." containedall

      Would force eMail to be contained by all other syntax groups, whether
      they have a "contains=" option or not. Don't know if Bram would
      want to include such a thing - it's use it quite narrow. Would there
      be a more general way to implement something like this?

      syntax match eMail "johannes@..." supercedes=@ALL

      with "supercedes" being a list of syntax items which this item will
      supercede, even if the other syntax has already started. problems -
      should the superceded syntax resume after the superceding one ends,
      or should it just be ended, or should the code track both syntaxes
      simultaneously, and "do the right thing"? Could get quite complicated,
      multiple "supercedes" could result in tracking several syntaxes
      simultaneously. Could restrict to only one supercede active at a time,
      ie, you cannot supercede a syntax item that has the "supercede" option.
      Again, though, are there enough practical applications of such an item
      to make implementation worthwhile?

      --
      Free High Speed DSL Access:
      http://in.winfire.com/s/isapiEng.dll/wf.exe?cmd=rl&452,180045277&wf.exe
      Message 2 of 8 , Apr 12, 2000
        Stephen P. Wall wrote:

        > Maybe you could implement a new syntax keyword, "containedall":
        >
        > syntax match eMail "johannes@..." containedall

        Hmm, would be possible. Since it would also match when it's not contained in
        anything, "containedall" isn't fully correct. We could call it "anywhere"
        perhaps.

        > Would force eMail to be contained by all other syntax groups, whether
        > they have a "contains=" option or not. Don't know if Bram would
        > want to include such a thing - it's use it quite narrow. Would there
        > be a more general way to implement something like this?
        >
        > syntax match eMail "johannes@..." supercedes=@ALL
        >
        > with "supercedes" being a list of syntax items which this item will
        > supercede, even if the other syntax has already started. problems -
        > should the superceded syntax resume after the superceding one ends,
        > or should it just be ended, or should the code track both syntaxes
        > simultaneously, and "do the right thing"? Could get quite complicated,
        > multiple "supercedes" could result in tracking several syntaxes
        > simultaneously. Could restrict to only one supercede active at a time,
        > ie, you cannot supercede a syntax item that has the "supercede" option.
        > Again, though, are there enough practical applications of such an item
        > to make implementation worthwhile?

        This sounds complicated. Do we really need this? Implementing the "anywhere"
        is much easier.

        Another item that would be nice, but might not be needed, is "containedin=",
        giving a list of items this item can be contained in, even though those items
        don't have this item in their "contains=" list.

        3. Your bookmark takes 15 minutes to scroll from top to bottom.

      • Stephen P. Wall
        Message 3 of 8 , Apr 12, 2000
          > From: Bram Moolenaar <Bram@...>
          >
          > Hmm, would be possible. Since it would also match when it's not contained in
          > anything, "containedall" isn't fully correct. We could call it "anywhere"
          > perhaps.

          Or "everywhere". Hey, a religious war! 8-]

          > 3. Your bookmark takes 15 minutes to scroll from top to bottom.

          Not quite that bad... 8-] They're mostly useless, anyways. Some
          are so old, I don't even know if they still work. A bunch were put
          there by the browser and I don't even know what they are. Somebody
          should invent a better way to organize and track them. How about
          a vim script? =-) Hey, if vim could display images and access
          HTTP servers, it could even fetch the links and display them for
          you... Netscape's new Gecko engine is supposed to be embeddable...

          --
          Free High Speed DSL Access:
          http://in.winfire.com/s/isapiEng.dll/wf.exe?cmd=rl&452,180045277&wf.exe
          ________ ______
          Stephen P. Wall Redcom Laboratories, Inc. / __ /\/ ___/\
          Steve_Wall@... One Redcom Center ___/ /\/ /_/ /\__\/
          (716) 924-7550 Victor, NY 14564 /_____/ /_______/ /
          x300 USA \_____\/\_______\/
        • Thomas Köhler
          Message 4 of 8 , Apr 12, 2000
            On Wed, Apr 12, 2000 at 08:24:50PM +0200,
            Stephen P. Wall <swall@...> wrote:

            [...]
            > > 3. Your bookmark takes 15 minutes to scroll from top to bottom.
            >
            > Not quite that bad... 8-] They're mostly useless, anyways. Some
            > are so old, I don't even know if they still work. A bunch were put
            > there by the browser and I don't even know what they are. Somebody
            > should invent a better way to organize and track them. How about
            > a vim script? =-) Hey, if vim could display images and access
            > HTTP servers, it could even fetch the links and display them for
            > you... Netscape's new Gecko engine is supposed to be embeddable...

            Well, as I'm currently struggling to get my bookmarks database (it's
            really a database, mySQL-based) work better, I might as well come up
            with a few cool vim macros to add or delete URLs - Is there a way to let
            vim connect to mysql? :-}

            (OK, the idea would be to do some "mysqldump" of all the URLs, put those
            in a file, edit that file, and on :w, just put the data back in tha
            database)

            OK, now this one gets too silly I think...

            CU,
            Thomas

            IRC: jeanluc | on All Real