Re: completion of environment variables -> :shell

  • Johannes Zellner
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 6, 2000
      On Thu, 6 Apr 2000, Sven Guckes wrote:

      > * Johannes Zellner <johannes@...> [000406 13:51]:
      > > is there a way to make vim complete
      > > environment variables (like options)?
      >
      > Shouldn't this be a feature of a shell?
      > Looks like everyone wants Vim's command
      > line to be a replacement for the shell..
      > How about ":shell"? ;-)

      sometimes there are lengthy environment variables:
      MP_SET_NUMTHREADS

      I just tried to put this into a file with (insert mode)
      <c-r>=$MP<tab>

      just would have saved me typing ...

      --
      Johannes
      Message 2 of 2 , Apr 10, 2000
        Mike Steed wrote:

        > To clarify, are we talking about command-line support for
        >
        > (a) completing environment variable names, or
        > (b) expanding environment variable names to their values?
        >
        > I was thinking of (a). Vim already does (b), plus some special-case code
        > for $HOME, $VIM, and $VIMRUNTIME. I ask because it looks like the example
        > above illustrates (b).
        >
        > Is (a) worth the extra code?

        I thought we were talking about (a). Mostly the command that you execute will
        expand the variable to its value.

        --
        Engineers understand that their appearance only bothers other people and
        therefore it is not worth optimizing.