[vim5.6w32] no screen display under WinNT telnet server

  • Greg Ercolano
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 6, 2000
      MinInfo:
      Environ: OS: WinNT 4 <-> IRIX 6.2; terminal: SGI telnet client<->Georgia SoftWorks telnet server for WinNT; $TERM=xterm;
      program: vim-5.6w32 vs. vim-5.6d32 under WinNT

      Telneting from a unix machine _to_ a WinNT host running above telnet
      server, and invoking the recommended vim5.6w32 version of VIM yields
      no text display in the telnet session, though keyboard entry (eg. :q)
      works ok.

      If, however, I run the "d32" version (instead of "w32") of vim;
      the screen correctly displays over telnet.

      The Georgia SoftWorks telnet server apparently monitors changes in
      screen memory (at b800:0000), and sends the changes over telnet.
      For instance, in a telnet session I can invoke DEBUG and diddle
      video memory, and see changes immediately on the telnet screen.

      It seems there's something about the w32 version of VIM where
      it displays text differently from the d32, causing it not to work
      with the telnet server.

      To work around, I tried using 'vim -T ansi', but since WinNT DOS
      windows don't seem to support ANSI, the ANSI codes come up in ascii,
      eg. [2J[1;1H, which is faithfully replicated by the telnet server.
      I tried configuring ANSI.SYS in CONFIG.NT and rebooting, but still NG.

      Is there an option to make the w32 vim act more like the d32 regarding
      text display, so the telnet server can see changes in screen memory?
      I tried a few :mode settings, to no avail.

      I'm guessing the w32 version is creating a new virtual console or somesuch,
      which stymies the telnet server's ability to 'see' changes in video memory.
      If there's a way to defeat that with a .vimrc option, that might help.

      --

      |\_/|
      |o,o|
      Message 2 of 2 , Mar 21, 2000
        Greg Ercolano wrote:

        > MinInfo:
        > Environ: OS: WinNT 4 <-> IRIX 6.2; terminal: SGI telnet client<->Georgia
        > SoftWorks telnet server for WinNT; $TERM=xterm; program: vim-5.6w32 vs.
        > vim-5.6d32 under WinNT
        >
        > Telneting from a unix machine _to_ a WinNT host running above telnet
        > server, and invoking the recommended vim5.6w32 version of VIM yields
        > no text display in the telnet session, though keyboard entry (eg. :q)
        > works ok.

        The Win32 console version assumes it is running in a DOS console. It uses
        some Win32 functions to write text to it. That doesn't work for telnet (or
        any other non-console terminal).

        There is this entry in the todo list:
        8 Add an option (command line?) not to switch console buffers. Required
        for telnetd (Ford). Change termcap_mode_start() and
        termcap_mode_end(). Test with ataman telnet daemon.

        Shouldn't be too difficult to do, since it means writing directly to the
        screen instead of using the Win32 functions. Don't know when this will get
        implemented though...

        209. Your house stinks because you haven't cleaned it in a week.