Re: libcall()

  • Robin Becker
    Message 1 of 38 , Feb 24, 2000
      In article <11F664DB9E16D3119CB90060084B96A2116001@ASLMAIL>, Vince Negri
      <vnegri@...> writes
      >> > Perhaps this feature is a bit dangerous. Is it a worthwhile effort?
      >> I don't now yet. On the other hand it's not that much effort
      >> (thanks to Neil). I won't use this for standard libraries,
      >> but it opens vim for writing plug-ins.
      >
      >I was unaware that libcall() had been made to work under
      >UN*Xesque systems.. but indeed, when I did the original
      >implementation for Win32 it was precisely to allow
      >the writing of plugins, where the interface can be more
      >tightly controlled. For example, on our network we can invoke
      >a plug-in via libcall() to retrieve the comment associated
      >with a network shared resource - this is used for generating
      >the standard company header for source files.
      >
      >Vince
      >

      >Legal Disclaimer: Any views expressed by the sender of this message are
      >not necessarily those of Application Solutions Ltd. Information in this
      >e-mail may be confidential and is for the use of the intended recipient
      >only, no mistake in transmission is intended to waive or compromise such
      >privilege. Please advise the sender if you receive this e-mail by mistake.

      there's also ibffi (maintained by Cygnus) and ffcall which I think is a
      lisp inspired interface.
      --
      Robin Becker
      Message 38 of 38 , Mar 12 8:12 AM
        Wichert Akkerman wrote:
        > Previously Bram Moolenaar wrote:
        > > No, vim_strsave() is just a wrapper around malloc(), used to make a copy
        > > of a string.
        >
        > So it's basically strdup?

        Yes, but it uses alloc() (a Vim function) instead of malloc(). alloc() has a
        few extra checks for not allocating too much memory (so that enough is left to
        write out the file when needed, for example).

        147. You finally give up smoking...because it made the monitor dirty.