Re: Win32 GUI: New edit-with-Vim menu entry

  • Jeff.Walker@AUTOZONE.COM
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 11, 2000
      on UNIX (AIX 4.3.2) I have solved this problem by putting a link called
      /usr/local/share/vimprod, which points to /usr/local/share/vim/vim-xx ,
      where xx is the latest stable version. If I want to use a beta/alpha
      version for my testing before I let folks use it, I set my $VIMRUNTIME
      variable to .../vim/vim-5.6a or whatever. That way I don't have to tell
      everyone to change their .profile files for the new VIMRUNTIME env variable
      (which half don't do and I get strange calls).

      This works well in UNIX, but that doesn't solve your problem on the windows
      platform, but maybe on NT, as I hear that sym links are supported (maybe
      just hard links?)

      -Jeff Walker

      David Pascoe <David.Pascoe@...> on 01/11/2000 02:18:50 AM

      To: vim-dev@...
      cc: (bcc: Jeff Walker/STS/AUTOZONE)
      Subject: Re: Win32 GUI: New edit-with-Vim menu entry

      One thing that I struggle with and this also does is binary location.

      I keep local users up to date with a .zip file that people install in
      either c:\apps\vim or c:\program files\vim. If I have the _vimrc in
      that directory with the gvim.exe then all is fine. If I was to follow
      the suggestion and use c:\apps\vim\vim56a for the binary location I
      would need to update the registry for every release, and also update
      my path for every release.

      I like keeping the same location as people can just blow away the old
      revision or simply overwrite with a new .zip file and not need to
      change anything.

      Any suggestions ?

      davidp.

      On Mon, 10 Jan 2000, Bram Moolenaar wrote:

      > Tianmiao Hu has made a shell extension DLL for Vim. This solves the
      problems
      > which the "Edit with Vim" menu entry caused for the Office toolbar.
      > Since many people have complained about this, and the DLL is only 12
      Kbyte, I
      > would like to include this in Vim 5.6. But it has to be tested first!

      <snip>