77618Re: Update doc/eval.txt about expand()

    Aug 29, 2014
      Yasuhiro Matsumoto wrote:

      > On Wednesday, August 27, 2014 9:58:15 PM UTC+9, mattn wrote:
      > > Yes, I know.
      > >
      > > But in this case, afaik, expand('$FOO') shouldn't call
      > > mch_expand_wildcards().
      > Ooops, sorry.
      > I found it.
      > https://code.google.com/p/vim/source/browse/src/misc1.c#10769

      Actually it does not work as documented. Even though the shell is
      invoked the $ is escaped, thus no environment variables are expanded.

      I can make this command work:

      echo expand('$shell')

      However, if a file name contains a $ and what follows happens to be a
      variable name, then you do not get that file name. I would think this
      is OK, a $ should be escaped to avoid the expansion, right?

      From "know your smileys":
      :-) Funny
      |-) Funny Oriental
      (-: Funny Australian