76166Re: Regression: Change mark '[ at end, not start of first line after gq.

  • Ingo Karkat
    Apr 24, 2014
      On 24-Apr-2014 14:27 +0200, Christian Brabandt wrote:

      > Am 2014-04-24 13:39, schrieb Ingo Karkat:
      >> Hello Vim developers,
      >>
      >> my plugins' automated test suite found another regression. When
      >> reformatting lines with gq{motion}, the start of change mark '[ does not
      >> point to the start of the first line [0, lnum, 1, 0] any more, but
      >> instead to after the end of the original first line [0, lnum,
      >> len(getline(lnum)) + 1, 0].
      >> As gq processes entire lines, the start of the change should indeed be
      >> at column 1, as it used to.
      >>
      >> This scriptlet shows the discrepancy:
      >>
      >> :call setline(1, ["\t\tO sodales, ludite, vos qui", "attamen
      >> consulite per voster honur. Tua pulchra facies me fay planszer
      >> milies"])
      >> :1normal! gqj
      >> :echo getpos("'[") " Should yield [0, 1, 1, 0], but gives [0, 1,
      >> 29, 0].
      >>
      >> Using the attached scriptlet, I've bisected this to the following patch:
      >>
      >> ,----[ bad change ]----
      >> | 7.4.178 the J command does not update '[ and '] marks
      >> `----
      >>
      >> I still see this in the latest 7.4.264 (HUGE build) on Linux/x64.
      >
      > Yes, previously, the join command wouldn't update the '[ and '] marks.
      > Now it does.
      > That is causing your regression.

      Yeah, I had assumed that the gq implementation internally uses the join
      command, so this is a classic case of unexpected side effects.

      > I look into it.

      Thank you very much!

      > BTW: What kind of regression tests are you doing? Could that be used
      > to extend the unit-test functionality in the testdir/ directory of Vim's
      > source?

      I have automated tests for about half of my plugins, using my own
      runVimTests (http://www.vim.org/scripts/script.php?script_id=2565) test
      framework. For illustration, here's the particular test that exposed
      this regression:

      ,----[ example runVimTests test ]----
      | " Test formatting lines to the width.
      |
      | edit text.txt
      |
      | call vimtest#StartTap()
      | call vimtap#Plan(2)
      |
      | 13normal V5j\gq
      |
      | 3normal V5j\gq
      | call vimtap#Is(getpos("'["), [0, 3, 1, 0], 'start of change')
      | call vimtap#Is(getpos("']"), [0, 14, 3, 0], 'end of change')
      |
      | call vimtest#SaveOut()
      | call vimtest#Quit()
      `----

      As all of my tests require and mainly test my plugins, I don't think
      that Vim's test suite can directly benefit from them. However, as a side
      effect, my test suite had exposed several bugs in the NFA-based regexp
      engine before.

      I've put down a note to set up a cron job that every few days pulls down
      the latest changes from Mercurial, compiles Vim, and runs my tests. That
      should enable me to quickly point out any regressions caught by my suite
      in the future!

      For each test failure, I still have to analyze, extract the code from my
      test and plugin, and distill a minimal test scriptlet, which I then use
      to bisect and post here. I hope that those can indeed be easily turned
      into a Vim test. If there's anything I can do to make this translation
      easier, please let me know. In general, a short tutorial how the Vim
      tests work, idioms, and best practices (posted here on or vim.org) would
      be great.

      -- regards, ingo