75647Re: Netrw shows directory structure wrong: always shows directory inside itself

  • Charles E Campbell
    Mar 15, 2014
      Yuri Vic wrote:
      > Netrw shows the entry with the current directory name inside itself.
      > For example:
      > There are two directories /some/dir and /some/dir/other-dir
      > Command 'cd /some/dir && vim .' shows this:
      > ../
      > dir/
      > | other-dir/
      >
      > And command 'cd /some/dir/other-dir && vim .' shows this:
      > ../
      > other-dir/

      These two situations are both correct.

      case 1: cd /some/dir && pwd
      Shows that the current directory is /some/dir .
      So, vim . at that point will start the tree listing from /some/dir.
      According to your example, the only item in /some/dir is also a
      directory, /some/dir/other-dir.
      The tree listing shows

      ../ the preceding directory
      dir/ the current directory
      | other-dir the only item in dir/

      case 2: cd /some/dir/other-dir && pwd
      Shows that the current directory is /some/dir/other-dir.
      So, vim . at that point will start the tree listing from
      /some/dir/other-dir.
      According to your example, the other-dir directory is empty.
      Accordingly, the tree listing shows

      ../ the preceding directory
      other-dir the current directory
      (no contents)

      I'm guessing that you aren't aware that netrw initializes the tree
      listing based on the current directory. If you want to go up a
      directory, well, that's what the "../" is for.

      Regards,
      C Campbell