75522Re: [patch] :undorecover command

    Mar 7 11:45 AM
      Christian Brabandt wrote:

      > here is a patch, containing an :undorecover command that has been
      > requested before. If you apply this patch and use :undorecover on
      > existing undofiles, it will simply read in the undo structure.
      >
      > But by itself this isn't really useful, as one probably ends up with
      > only many small pieces of the original file and most probably not the
      > complete file contents. But at least one can traverse the undo structure
      > and see if one can at least recover parts of the file.
      >
      > Newly written undofiles will therefore at least contain one complete
      > buffer content at the time the undofile is written and no complete
      > buffer content has been recorded yet. When using those undofiles
      > together with :undorecover one will jump to that state in the undo tree
      > and from there one can try to recover parts of the file.
      >
      > But even then, if one has many undo branches, there will be most likely
      > branches, that are not recoverable, because the undo information does
      > not contains information to recover from that initial state.
      >
      > Therefore, this patch also adds an 'undosavebuf' option (off by default)
      > which when on, will always save the complete buffer in the undo tree
      > whenever the undofile is written. This possibly makes the undo tree (and
      > undofile) a lot larger, but the user should be able to recover different
      > states pretty easily.

      Thanks. Setting that 'undosavebuf' sounds a bit dangerous...

      If I understand it correctly, the user will have to go forward and
      backward in the undo tree to find useful text. And there will be many
      versions of the same line. Perhaps it's possible to be more clever and
      just start with buffer with empty lines, and go through history in a way
      one ends up with the last known state of each line? I know this isn't
      easy, but it should be possible.

      Also, this is difficult to test with something under src/testdir. It's
      probably more suited for a unittest like memfile_test.c does.

      --
      "When I die, I want a tombstone that says "GAME OVER" - Ton Richters