74318Re: Issue 28 in vim: out of the box, gVim 7.3.46 for Win32 cannot write swap files on Windows 7

  • Benjamin Fritz
    Dec 2, 2013
      On Mon, Dec 2, 2013 at 12:14 PM, Bram Moolenaar <Bram@...> wrote:

      > Ben Fritz wrote:
      >
      >> On Wednesday, November 13, 2013 10:39:10 PM UTC-6, v...@... wrote:
      >> > Comment #12 on issue 28 by fritzoph...@...: out of the box, gVim
      >> >
      >> > 7.3.46 for Win32 cannot write swap files on Windows 7
      >> >
      >> > http://code.google.com/p/vim/issues/detail?id=28
      >> >

      >> > This patch will use environment variables for the temp directories for
      >> >
      >> > both 'directory' and 'backupdir' options.
      >>
      >> Hi, Bram. I didn't see this patch mentioned in the recently updated todo.txt.
      >>
      >> Did you miss this or decide not to include it?
      >
      > Wasn't there another patch for the same problem?
      > Or was that just for the installer?

      The installer patch made it so the shortcuts created by the installer
      start in a directory where the user has write access.

      But you can still launch Vim from a different directory if you don't
      use the shortcut. For example, from a cmd.exe prompt in the Program
      Files or Windows directories.

      So this patch makes Vim use $TEMP and $TMP environment variables for
      swap and backup files before the hard-coded C:\TEMP and C:\TMP which
      don't exist on recent versions of Windows. Thus there should always be
      a writable directory usable for swap and backup files. Previously only
      the hard-coded values were used.