74259Re: [patch] Option to show indent level with 'expandtab' and 'list' option

  • Nikolay Pavlov
    Nov 27, 2013

      On Nov 27, 2013 10:56 AM, "hari.g" <harig.in@...> wrote:

      > Hi,
      >
      > The attached patch adds a 'listchars' option 'lsp' which marks leading space at 'shiftwidth' with the defined characer so that you can follow the indent level in a bit too much nested code when you also have 'expandtab' option set and use spaces for indentation (e.g. Python code in many repos enforce a 'spaces only indenting' policy).

      This functionality would be good to have and I see it constantly seeked in vim-use and stackoverflow. But there are some issues though:

      0. No tests. There is screenchar()/screenattr() pair for the tests.
      1. I fail to comprehend what "lsp" stands for. Guess it is abbreviation: Leading Space P... Pwhat?
      2. Your patch strips out meaningful trailing spaces from documentation.
      3. It also adds something to Make_mvc.mak which is not related (if you have to use it to compile it should be a separate patch).
      4. No interline tabs in nw_seen declaration.
      5. Tabs are not used in line

          +            nw_seen = nw_seen || !vim_iswhite(c);