74248Re: improving Vim - Kickstarter - brainstorming - goals - who wants to join?

  • Michael Jarvis
    Nov 26, 2013
      On Monday, November 25, 2013 7:26:42 AM UTC-6, MarcWeber wrote:
      > I've been complaining about Vim related issues for a long time,
      >
      > I think its time to stop complaining and just fix it.
      >

      > Join by providing feedback:
      >
      > http://mawercer.de/vim.php
      >

      > or adding additional issues to be fixed here:
      >
      > http://vim-wiki.mawercer.de/wiki/topic/in-which-way-does-vim-suck.html
      >

      > The idea is to create a kickstarter project to funding all work.
      >
      > IMHO Vim is worth keeping alive, and that means we must find a way
      >
      > to move Vim into the future.
      >

      > If this requires writing a new language, because C lacks abstracktions,
      >
      > and C++ is complex, then that's the task to be done IMHO.

      Personally I think that rewriting in a new language would mean that it's not Vim any more. If you want to create a Vim-like IDE, written in another language, with more functionality, then it would be a new product. Maybe call it Vim++, or SuperVim, or something similar, but it should be a fork of Vim and not a total rewrite of the current editor.

      I think Vim is wonderful as it is for my purposes, and it's currently the "default" Vi on many many Linux computers across the world. We don't want to change that by starting over, even if we do try to re-use some of the code.

      This article from Joel Spolsky sums up why I think rewriting would be a bad idea: http://www.joelonsoftware.com/articles/fog0000000069.html