74068Re: Feature request: flag to 'complete' so that i_Ctrl-N ignores remote buffers

    Nov 13, 2013
      Christian Brabandt wrote:

      > On Tue, November 12, 2013 16:53, Ben Fritz wrote:
      > > On Monday, November 11, 2013 10:45:15 PM UTC-6, Suresh Govindachar wrote:
      > >> Hello,
      > >>

      > >> Please consider providing the feature whereby i_Ctrl-N would ignore
      > >>
      > >> buffers whose name begins with \\machine_name\ and machine_name is a
      > >>
      > >> remote machine (Microsoft Uniform Naming Convention (UNC)).
      > >>

      > > I think what you're really asking is for a way to exclude buffers or files
      > > from being processed by insert-mode completion, if you know scanning them
      > > will be slow.
      > >
      > > This could be true for very large file, or for files on a network share,
      > > or files that require reading with autocmds to unzip them or something.
      > >
      > > I support such an option. I like keeping 'path' fairly large for searching
      > > with :find for a file, but this makes insert completion very slow if I
      > > allow it to search in included files. Previously when we were using
      > > ClearCase on my team, EVERY insert completion that scanned other files was
      > > slow, because the ClearCase "dynamic view" mapped network drive is
      > > painfully slow. I had to turn off most of the completion functions. I'd
      > > certainly use a filter to remove specific directories from insert
      > > completion scanning, were it available.
      >
      > So this would mean, having a new buffer local option like
      > 'completebufignore' that is off by default and could be set to
      > ignore the current buffer from being processed for completion?
      >
      > Bram, what are youre thoughts regarding adding yet another option?
      >
      > Other suggestions?

      This should probably be an entry in the 'complete' option.
      Something like a/pattern/ (where a stands for avoid).

      Note that insert mode completion has grown incredibly complex, it might
      be necessary to do a refactoring first. Which first requires writing
      more tests.

      --
      "Lisp has all the visual appeal of oatmeal with nail clippings thrown in."
      -- Larry Wall