73943Re: vim.org website redesign/update

  • Justin M. Keyes
    Nov 6, 2013
      On Wed, Nov 6, 2013 at 4:54 PM, Leonard Ehrenfried
      <leonard.ehrenfried@...> wrote:
      > Before I get ahead of myself in terms of planning I would like to gauge the community's feelings towards an undertaking like this.

      For what it's worth, I am very much in favor of this. I am really glad
      to see this and the logo[1] getting some discussion. Branding and
      image are important, even for open source projects, because humans
      have limited time to evaluate every possibility in the world, so they
      often take shortcuts by making inferences from limited superficial
      information. And that's just a fact made necessary by the finiteness
      of time. And the value of paying some attention to "marketing" can
      have a disproportionately positive impact on the health of the
      project. New users benefit existing Vim users indirectly.

      Git did this about a year ago. Vim could do it and hopefully get a ton
      of mileage out of it. I certainly don't suggest having these
      discussions more than once per decade :)

      From my armchair position, I would also like to suggest that whatever
      technology or resources are used to update the website should be very
      low-maintenance and perhaps unsexy. Throw up some bootstrap template
      and it's going to be out of style in 6 months. I agree kernel.org is
      the right direction, although perhaps a tad austere. CGI for the
      backend is probably not a good idea, but I would also be wary of
      kitchen sinks like rails and django.

      If the website renders ok in w3m you will likely earn some extra good will :)

      I think it's good to outsource things like source hosting to services
      like github. Maybe vim.org shouldn't be concerned with that hosting
      burden. I would even suggest punting on the idea of user logins.

      vim.org should primarily provide:

      - the user manual (why does vimdoc.sourceforge.net/htmldoc/ dominate