73480Re: Patch: formatoptions in ftplugins

  • Gary Johnson
    Oct 2, 2013
      On 2013-10-02, Bram Moolenaar wrote:
      > David Barnett wrote:
      >
      > > +Nikolai +Bram +Tim (authors of the majority of these plugins)
      > >
      > > I'm confident we can get consensus to at least remove a few of those
      > > formatoptions modifications. You should also add "setlocal
      > > formatoptions-=3Dt" in pretty much every case (unless your syntax is fine
      > > with any arbitrary space being converted to a newline). ftplugin/python.vim
      > > should be setting -t, for instance.
      > >
      > > FYI, these settings affect what happens when you set &textwidth to
      > > non-zero, so the problem usually only comes up when users want to set
      > > &textwidth and use &colorcolumn.
      >
      > I think we should make a difference between the case the user has not
      > set any formatting options and when he did. If there are no user
      > preferences, the user expects the filetype plugin to do it all. If the
      > user did set preferences, we should indeed avoid overruling these when
      > they are not specific for the filetype.

      I don't think that's a valid distinction. The user's preference may
      be the default values, so he had no need to set any. The user
      expects the filetype plugin to change what it has to to facilitate
      editing that file type and no more. A plugin should not choose to
      make a setting depending on whether the user has already set it.

      Regards,
      Gary