73473Re: Patch: formatoptions in ftplugins

    Oct 2, 2013
      David Barnett wrote:

      > +Nikolai +Bram +Tim (authors of the majority of these plugins)
      >
      > I'm confident we can get consensus to at least remove a few of those
      > formatoptions modifications. You should also add "setlocal
      > formatoptions-=3Dt" in pretty much every case (unless your syntax is fine
      > with any arbitrary space being converted to a newline). ftplugin/python.vim
      > should be setting -t, for instance.
      >
      > FYI, these settings affect what happens when you set &textwidth to
      > non-zero, so the problem usually only comes up when users want to set
      > &textwidth and use &colorcolumn.

      I think we should make a difference between the case the user has not
      set any formatting options and when he did. If there are no user
      preferences, the user expects the filetype plugin to do it all. If the
      user did set preferences, we should indeed avoid overruling these when
      they are not specific for the filetype.

      Once we agree, an explanation needs to be added to :help
      write-filetype-plugin

      --
      Not too long ago, unzipping in public was illegal...