73380Re: 'cindent' and 'cinkeys' with 0# inhibits >> of lines with # in column 1

    Sep 25, 2013
      Gary Johnson wrote:

      > On 2013-09-25, Ben Fritz wrote:
      > > On Wednesday, September 25, 2013 6:18:00 AM UTC-5, Bram Moolenaar wrote:
      > > >

      > > > For portability and readability I would encourage keeping the # in the
      > > >
      > > > first column.
      > >
      > > Agree, that makes sense. And thus the default 'cindent' settings
      > > should also place it in the first column.
      > >
      > > > Allowing to put it elsewhere should be an option that is
      > > >
      > > > off by default.
      > > >

      > > I thought at first it is very strange Vim would EVER ignore a
      > > specific user command to indent a line, but then realized this is
      > > because I'm thinking about '>>'.
      > >
      > > More dangerous would be using >aB, without knowing there are
      > > preprocessor lines in that code block. Then it actually makes
      > > sense to keep those in the first line.
      >
      > I disagree.
      >
      > If I execute =aB, then I am telling the editor to use its judgement
      > and its indentation rules to indent all the lines in that block,
      > which may well include shifting preprocessor lines all the way to
      > the left.
      >
      > However, if I execute >aB, I am telling the editor explicitly that
      > I want all the lines in that block to be shifted to the right. It
      > is my choice and my judgement that that is the right thing to do.
      > The > command should mean "shift", not "shift unless the editor
      > thinks it knows better than the user."

      If you see the ">" command as increasing indent then it makes perfect
      sense that indenting rules apply. For the same reason 'shiftwidth' is
      used for indenting.

      --
      ARTHUR: (as the MAN next to him is squashed by a sheep) Knights! Run away!
      Midst echoing shouts of "run away" the KNIGHTS retreat to cover with the odd