73229Re: text wrapping regression?

  • Matthew Woehlke
    Sep 17, 2013
      On 2013-09-17 15:59, Ben Fritz wrote:
      > On Tuesday, September 17, 2013 12:17:57 PM UTC-5, Matthew Woehlke wrote:
      >> I just discovered that text wrapping has changed at least between
      >> vim-enhanced-7.3.1314-2.fc18.x86_64 and
      >> vim-enhanced-7.4.016-1.fc18.x86_64 (so probably between 7.3.x and 7.4.0).
      >>
      >> It used to be the case that if I typed some text that was almost long
      >> enough to wrap, then went to the beginning of the line and added some
      >> text, then went to the end of the (now over-length) line and typed some
      >> more text, vim would wrap the text when I typed at the end.
      >>
      >> It has stopped doing this. Was this change intended? It is very annoying
      >> when writing git commit messages; I have had to newly enable fo+=a as a
      >> work-around.
      >
      > Do you have 'l' in your formatoptions? In 7.4.0 I see your expected
      > behavior with "set fo=t" unless I then do "set fo+=l".

      Ah, I do... apparently this is now on for gitcommit where it used to be off?

      Still, I'm not sure fo+=l is working correctly. The documentation says
      "When a line was longer than 'textwidth' when the insert command
      started, Vim does not automatically format it." But I am seeing this
      even when I enter insert mode with an initially empty document and never
      leave insert mode?

      --
      Matthew