73209Re: incorrect "still running" swap file message

    Sep 14, 2013
      Andrew McNabb wrote:

      > Vim (vim-enhanced-7.4.0-2.fc19.x86_64 on Fedora) is currently reporting
      > 'Found a swap file by the name ".linalg.py.swp"' along with
      > 'process ID: 4157 (still running)'.
      >
      > However, process 4157 is not a Vim process:
      >
      > $ readlink /proc/4157/exe
      > /usr/bin/pulseaudio (deleted)
      > $
      >
      > and '.linalg.py.swp' does not appear in /proc/4157/fd.
      >
      > Unfortunately, since Vim thinks that another process is using the swap
      > file, it does not give a '(D)elete' option to remove the outdated swap
      > file. It would be nice if either the heuristic for determining whether
      > another Vim process would use information in /proc.

      Unfortunately Linux recycles process IDs. It does not happen very often
      that Vim makes a mistake with that. The way you discovered that the
      process is not Vim is not a generic solution. On top of that, it could
      be Vim but another process than the one that created the swap file.

      Generally, I don't think it's worth solving. Better avoid that Vim dies
      and leave swap files behind.

      213. Your kids start referring to you as "that guy in front of the monitor."